Explorer HID Projector mod | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer HID Projector mod

thanks alot for all the help with this Im hoping to pick up projectors this weekend, what wiring do i need? just pos/neg? cause some guy i know told me I need something called a "brain" which i never heard of so any advice is apreciated thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you need the projectors, ballasts (Hella) and bulbs (Philips/Osram). Maybe he meant the ballast is the brain. The ballasts will have the wiring to power the bulbs, the projector will have wiring if it's bi-xenon (which you want if you wanna keep highs).

The projector mounts outside of the headlamp, but the lens goes inside. The link you posted is the headlight setup. You get the bulbs and the ballasts (computer looking things).

where do the ballast mount? under the hood or does it get connected to the back of the light?

The ballasts do not mount to the back of the headlights. Mount them in any place you can fit them. You can buy 3M velcro that has glue on the reverse side and use it to fasten the ballast to the frame of the car. Or, you may find a spot where you can use cable ties.

I mounted my ballasts on the headlamp assembly. Where they are they CAN'T get wet. Once the headlamps are bolted in you can't see the ballasts. This is great if you offroad like I do.

Sounds like a good idea. I had a hard enough time getting the back of the projectors to fit through the openings in the frame. I had to mount my ballasts in the frame. You might be able to see how the projector barely fits in the opening in the frame:

Tight Fit

thanks for all the help guys i apreciate it all

I got my X5 headlights with projectors.. do you happen to have any pictures of the bulb assembly and how they actually attach to the projector? I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head.

You can see his pics here

Attachments

• hid.jpg
    hid.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 205

Thanks for the pic Husky... but what I really meant was, how the actual bulb goes into the back of the projector, how it attaches.. and how the ballast and ignitor attach as well. I have a hard time picturing how the bulb is held in the back of the projector.

And then the plug for the ignitor/ballast just pops right onto the back of the bulb? Does it stay there on it's own, or is there supposed to be some sort of clip that keeps it connected to the bulb?

Yep. The ignitor has a special lock.

would there be room with any of these bi-zenon systems to run 2 projectors in each headlight? I am confused with the wiring for these things- is there somehwere where I can see an actual diagram? To the initial poster here- pardon me I dont recall the name- but could you email me a detailed plan outlining how you did this including the wiring, the parts everything- so mine end up like yours? MKDunkley@gmail.com

Why 2 projectors? They probably wouldn't fit, and bi-xenon projectors have highs and lows already built in, so there's no need.

hot

man they look hot.i have and 04 explorer with mercedes benz hid and the
same problem they are aimed all the way down and still getting high beamed.
now i know how they lok i need to get some of those.i work at benz so to
get them should not be hard (i hope) :thumbsup:

Angel Eye Mod

CHECK THIS SITE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://diycars.tripod.com/angees.html

I found this web site..maybe one of you guys/gals can make it happen.

That's one wicked HID mod..

Looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back