Explorer HID Projector mod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer HID Projector mod

huskyfan23 said:
Your headlamps are different, I was told the biggest bi-xenon (lows and highs) to go with would be 70mm, such as Mercedes E320 by Hella. You will wanna go with D2S bulbs (D2R are meant for reflector-style projectors). Bi-xenon means you get highs and lows, xenon is just lows. The bi-xenon have a shield that moves to allow more light to shine. You DON'T want auto-level/auto-adjusting projectors. Every bump you hit will cause the lights to move around.

Would those work in a 2001? (the ones in that Ebay link..)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those may be router bits, which are meant for wood. They may work, but I know for a fact that hole saws work. Harbor Freight has real cheap kits.

I have no clue what size those are. I'd only buy bi-xenon since I need my highs, and you DO NOT want auto-adjusting like those in the auction.

alright thanks :)

pics!!!!!!

once i finally do it u best believe i will take pics lol

Great mod & a good writeup. Projectors are the best way to use the power of HID.

Those look good, though the price is a little high. For the ultimate cutoff look at the Audi A4/S4 Valeo ECE projectors, though they aren't bi-xenon.

I have done a conversion on my A4 but this looks way cooler... Gives me somethig to think about during long winter nights.

The HID projectors are AMAZING offroad at night. Light up everything in front of you. I don't have any auxillary lighting and I do just fine with the highs on.

Will the hid projectors from a nissan 300z work? they look crazy (with diamond clears, and they light up the night with a cool blue tint that i personaly like.

The 300Z lights use reflectors in the housing, so they'll look like crap on anything but a Z.

OK... I have finally read the entire description of the work you have done and have some questions... You have used Xenon projectors with Xenon bulbs... aren't you missing your hi-beams now? I would install bi-xenons. You have sealed the whole set-up inside the headlight... what about changing bulbs in case one burns out?

thanks,

Dre said:
OK... I have finally read the entire description of the work you have done and have some questions... You have used Xenon projectors with Xenon bulbs... aren't you missing your hi-beams now? I would install bi-xenons. You have sealed the whole set-up inside the headlight... what about changing bulbs in case one burns out?

thanks,

Hi Dre,

Yes, I am missing my high beams. However, that's why I have my 150 watt KC daylighters (you can see them in one of the pics in the original post). They're for off-road use only. But then again, I always make sure I never have them on when there's another car in sight (the lights are quite blinding). If the bulb burns out (which is quite unlikely unless you touch it or mishandle it), you can just take the retaining cap off of the back of the projector and pull the bulb right out. The one problem is that it is very difficult to buy just one bulb due to the hue shift that older bulbs undergo. It is recommended that you buy either two brand new bulbs (use ebay to get the best prices, but keep an eye on the seller's rating) or two used bulbs that are of the same manufacturer and part # and have been used for the same amount of time (again, due to the hue shift). I got a pair of used Osram bulbs from a BMW, which was fine since the bulbs had been on for the same number of hours. When buying new bulbs, avoid those asian import bulbs (usually 6000k-10000k) because they'll be lower quality and will have reduced light output.

Ok can anyone give me all the ones from what cars that will def work that are bi xenon thanks :thumbsup:

I don't think anybody will know. I know the 70mm Hella projectors off the E320 work, and these are real big. Anything 70mm and below should be fine, but make sure they aren't reflector-based or you'll have a problem.

Audi and BMW will definatelly work... as for others? have no idea although I would check Lincoln projectors first.

now this may sound stupid but why wouldnt ones that use a reflector work? is it because they would melt it? or just blind everyone and everything? , Dre are the audi and bmw ones for reflectors or no?

Audi, BMW, Mercedes and some others use projectors... and that's what you've got to use. Other cars - Caddillac, Acura, GMC, Lincoln and some use HID bulbs without projects but with reflectors... just like regular headlights.

You want to use a projector since all the reflector HID headlights have clear lenses and light pattern is being shaped by the reflector.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back