Explorer....RIP | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer....RIP

Thanks for the compliments! I've had quite a few compliments already on the color. And I had no idea about the hitch. I have a trailer so I definitely wanted the towing package. But I didn't know it was a different size receiver. I thought the towing package just gave you the 7-pin plug next to the hitch, plus a trans cooler. But what do you mean about cross-rails?

I'm also not a fan of the chrome hubcabs. I saw a few Explorers with 20" inch wheels I and would have loved to get them, but I only saw them on Limited models which had AWD, which I didn't want. And to think, that was only around a $700 option from the dealer, but now would cost at least $1,500!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this ever happens to me I'll probably go crazy, cause I can't afford a new one and mine's too old to actually get much money for my car when they consider it totaled.

Believe me, I'm with you 100%! I was really pissed because I loved my 2008, and it cost me around an additional $7,000 to get what I wanted. It was so hard to find a V8 that was loaded, at least for $23,000 which is what my insurance co. gave me. That's why accidents suck so bad, it might not be your fault at all, but you're still out money :mad:

the cross rails on your roof rack. My Explorer only has the side rails. Oh and why is it that every 4th gen V8 I have seen has a stupid 3rd row seat? I don't have 7 people to haul lol. Eh its ok im not towing much these days although I will get an aftermarket hitch just for my cargo rack and small camping trailer but still I fell like every explorer should have come standard with the cross rails and 2" hitch.

If you have a 4x4 w/ tow package ur rear end is a 3.73.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I like the new ride. Nice looking Blue! Now you need rear view camera to avoid the next idiot from ramming you from behind. lol

If you have a 4x4 w/ tow package ur rear end is a 3.73.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I don't understand why that has anything to do with my hitch size or why I don't have cross rails. Why did Ford even use a class 2 hitch on an explorer period ?

I like the new ride. Nice looking Blue! Now you need rear view camera to avoid the next idiot from ramming you from behind. lol

I know, right? I'm actually looking at them right now. Thanks for the compliment!

I don't understand why that has anything to do with my hitch size or why I don't have cross rails. Why did Ford even use a class 2 hitch on an explorer period ?

Yeah, that is weird. I just looked up the window sticker for my old '08 and this new one, and no mention of cross rails

That's only with the V6 as far as I know.

Correct. Mine has cross rails as well. Although, mine came from Colorado I assume there were skis involved.

Very nice:thumbsup:

I just noticed, my 2008 had V8 emblems on the fenders, and Explorer emblems on the front doors. This new one has neither. Anyone notice when that happened?

Thanks! I did notice you're a fellow V8 Eddie brethren :D We've got go keep them alive, they are are dying breed!

Agreed. I just got mine little over a month ago and I love it, had my 94ex for about 6 years and never had any major problem with it ever it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

I just noticed, my 2008 had V8 emblems on the fenders, and Explorer emblems on the front doors. This new one has neither. Anyone notice when that happened?

I saw the pictures of yours and was wondering the same thing. You did look under the hood to make sure, right? :D

my 2006 had explorer emblems on the doors and nothing on the front fenders. I did have a V8 emblem on the rear hatch though.

my 2006 had explorer emblems on the doors and nothing on the front fenders. I did have a V8 emblem on the rear hatch though.

My '06 is the same, a continuation of the previous generation's badging scheme. For '07 & '08 they switched to the front fender badging for V8's. Then for '09 and '10 they eliminated the V8 and Explorer badging. That coincides with the elimination of the V6 and "Escape" badging on the Escape beginning in '09. That was when gas prices spiked in '08 and they wanted to remove any indication of a gas guzzler. Even though the Expy's V8 and V6 consume about the same.

My '06 is the same, a continuation of the previous generation's badging scheme. For '07 & '08 they switched to the front fender badging for V8's. Then for '09 and '10 they eliminated the V8 and Explorer badging. That coincides with the elimination of the V6 and "Escape" badging on the Escape beginning in '09. That was when gas prices spiked in '08 and they wanted to remove any indication of a gas guzzler. Even though the Expy's V8 and V6 consume about the same.

I never did understand why any vehicle whether it be a Ford or any other make for that matter brag about what engine size they have. Its not the size of your engine its what it can do that matters.

I saw the pictures of yours and was wondering the same thing. You did look under the hood to make sure, right? :D

Holy hell. I just looked under the hood and it said 4.0!!! I think I've been cheated! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never did understand why any vehicle whether it be a Ford or any other make for that matter brag about what engine size they have. Its not the size of your engine its what it can do that matters.

I think it used to be that engine displacement was a status symbol. Which is why BMW and Mercedes went so far as to incorporate the engine displacement into the model name on every car. Now it seems it's just the opposite - smaller is better, especially with turbos.

I for one was glad to have the "24V" plaque on the rear of my Contour years ago to announce to everyone that I was not driving a lowly 4-banger. But maybe that was a different me...

Back