Explorer Towing Capacity | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Towing Capacity

Hi jade97, I checked this sticker, but I don't see maximum towing weight.
From the manual, it appears that if the 2.3L Explorer is equipped with the Factory Trailer Towing Package, the maximum trailer weight is 3000 lbs/1361 kg. Without the Factory Trailer Towing Package, the maximum trailer weight is 2000 lbs/907 kg.

Maximum GCWR 8150 lbs/3697 kg with tow package & 6900lbs/3130 kg without.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have tried searching through these forums and googling everything I could think of, and I can't find the specific answer I am searching for. I am not very car savvy, so I apologize for any layman's terms.

Going off the window sticker I still have:
2013 FWD 3.5L V6 TiVCT Engine w/ 6-speed selectshift transmission (not sure of type, door code says "J" but can't find what "J" means) I also have trailer sway control, but I think that's standard.

I am trying to figure out the towing capacity. In the manual:

The asterisk subtext says "For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds, use a weight-carrying hitch and ball which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through the vehicle's underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds, up to the maximum trailer weight, it is recommended to use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing"

So if I am reading this right I can tow up to 5,000 pounds with my engine type if I have a Class III trailer/hitch? I checked under the dash and I have the gray plug for a brake controller and under the rear passenger fender is the terminal connection for a trailer wiring harness. However, I have no factory installed hitch.

I am confused because other threads make it seem like you had to have option 52T (the "tow package") installed in order to haul up to 5,000 pounds but my manual makes no specific mention of a tow package.

My door jamb sticker does not have a GCWR listed, only the GVWR (which that would include passengers, cargo, and the tongue) which for the boat I am looking to tow comes in under GVWR, but how do I figure out GCWR?

Please help.

There’s not a 2” receiver hitch built into the rear bumper? If not, I’d say you do not have the towing package, and are limited to 2,000.

Does it say Trailer Tow Package Class III anywhere on the window sticker?
My 14 says that under Optional Equipment on the window sticker ($570 option).

Does it say Trailer Tow Package Class III anywhere on the window sticker?
My 14 says that under Optional Equipment on the window sticker ($570 option).
It does not have the towing package listed, nor do I have a hitch. What makes the towing package a "class III towing package". Obviously the hitch and wiring, but with my specific vehicle the engine is the same, the axle ratio seems to be the same as vehicles that have the tow package. Are transmissions different? I can't find which transmission the "code j" refers to. I did see that the tow package include the engine oil cooler but that looks relatively straightforward to add as an after market thing.

I guess I am just confused with the chart in the manual and no where in the manual listing a tow package.

Thanks

2k lbs
It does not have the towing package listed, nor do I have a hitch. What makes the towing package a "class III towing package". Obviously the hitch and wiring, but with my specific vehicle the engine is the same, the axle ratio seems to be the same as vehicles that have the tow package. Are transmissions different? I can't find which transmission the "code j" refers to. I did see that the tow package include the engine oil cooler but that looks relatively straightforward to add as an after market thing.

I guess I am just confused with the chart in the manual and no where in the manual listing a tow package.

Thanks
2k lbs is your max.

Thanks... Guess I will be buying a new vehicle before I get a boat.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

....or get a smaller boat.;) BTW, your thread was merged with this one.

Peter

Hello everyone,
I just become the owner of the 2018 Ford Explorer with a 2.3l engine. I shipped it to Europe and I am going to register it, however for registration they asked me for some proof of maximum towing capacity - either as some stamped plate on chassis or a separate document. Do you know what should I do?
Do you have the factory towing package? Check this guide out. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_Explorer_Oct9.pdf
Perhaps that would be enough to register it.

Peter

Your thread was merged with this existing one.
Have you checked your Owner's Manual under Trailer Towing? In the 2nd printing of the Manual it is on page 257. It lays out the different weights. Maximum GCWR and Trailer weights. I believe the info is also on the "B" pillar sticker. Keep in mind that you have to calculate the weight of passengers and load you will be carrying. A weight distribution hitch should also be used when towing over 2000 lbs.

Peter

Awesome thanks for the replies guys!

Boat trailer does have surge brakes and it's definitely tandem axle.

We will probably never tow the boat with the explorer but hey - in a pinch I won't be as worried now :)

Back