• Register Today It's free!

Explorer will no longer run

Tatrii

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
I bought it used maybe 4 months ago have not had a single problem with it. I was just sitting in a parking lot idling one day and it died, I attempted to start it and it would turn over but not run. Then after fully turning the key off, it would not even turn over again. I tried jumping it, no luck. I should add it started throwing up all kinds of errors. "Low fuel level" (has 3/4 tank), "check fuel fill inlet", "Service RSC now", and "check charging system" the odometer just read "--------". I could not get it to start so I called a wrecker to pull it to my house when they dropped it off I tried to start it then bam it ran. For 10+ minutes it was running so I turned it off and thought it was just a weird fluke (DUMB MISTAKE). So then I go to leave for work the next day and it starts I get in it get halfway down my driveway then bam the same thing. It will not start in park however it WILL start in neutral ONLY if the parking brake is on. As soon as you take the parking brake out it dies. The anti-theft light was blinking very fast so I got out locked the doors then unlocked it with the key (not the fob) the light stopped blinking fast but still to no avail. It has to be an electrical issue right?

2008 Explorer XLT

PATS issue maybe? Is your key a Ford key or aftermarket replacement?

I bought it used maybe 4 months ago have not had a single problem with it. I was just sitting in a parking lot idling one day and it died, I attempted to start it and it would turn over but not run. Then after fully turning the key off, it would not even turn over again. I tried jumping it, no luck. I should add it started throwing up all kinds of errors. "Low fuel level" (has 3/4 tank), "check fuel fill inlet", "Service RSC now", and "check charging system" the odometer just read "--------". I could not get it to start so I called a wrecker to pull it to my house when they dropped it off I tried to start it then bam it ran. For 10+ minutes it was running so I turned it off and thought it was just a weird fluke (DUMB MISTAKE). So then I go to leave for work the next day and it starts I get in it get halfway down my driveway then bam the same thing. It will not start in park however it WILL start in neutral ONLY if the parking brake is on. As soon as you take the parking brake out it dies. The anti-theft light was blinking very fast so I got out locked the doors then unlocked it with the key (not the fob) the light stopped blinking fast but still to no avail. It has to be an electrical issue right?

2008 Explorer XLT
@Tatrii @GeorgeH

The clues: "turned over, would not start", then "would not turn over". Those two events suggest strongly a problem with the supply of power from the battery. Not likely a PATS issue at all. I'd begin by checking battery cell condition with a hydrometer. If good, and charged reasonably well, disconnect and inspect battery connections, both cable lugs and batt. posts. Look at condition of cable insulation immediately adjacent to the terminals: If flaky powdery residue is present, the cable conductors may be partially eaten away; slice back insulation to confirm. If OK, tape up, clean lugs and posts shiny bright, then coat with vaseline or grease, reinstall tightly. At this point I would see if any change. Those weird indications can result from wild voltage fluctuations due to bad connections.

It's a start....... imp

Back