Explorers/SportTracs = Exact same suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorers/SportTracs = Exact same suspension?

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Laudi, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Been noticing ads for control arms for lowering sport tracs floating around lately. Just wondering if anyone would know if the ST uses the exact same front suspension as the Explorer? To be honest I'm looking for people who have access to part #'s and such so I can be axactly sure here. If this has been covered, I ran a search but came up empty, sorry. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it does not.
It is VERY similar to the Explorer and the Edge, but the Sport Trac uses different knuckles and larger brakes.

You would have to do some research (compare part #'s with Ford) to see if the stuff supplied in the lowering kit (ie control arms) are the same on the Ex and the ST, but I do know they are different at the knuckle.

The rest of the front suspension may be the exact same, but you need to check.

I believe someone on explorer x did a sport track spindle swap to a a 2nd gen suspension to get the bigger rotors. He posts on here too so he may chime in.

Go to some online ford parts store, and compare part #'s for the lower control arm bushings and the lower balljoints. That will tell you alot.

Worst case scenario, you may have to get some junkyard Strac spindles/brakes/etc. The 'trac has larger 12" discs compared to the X's 11". This would be an added benefit if you had to swap it all on.

15" wheels will not clear the ST rotors :)

I'd be using 20's if I were to do this. The main thing I'm worried about is what if these companies just assume that the explorer arms are the same as the ranger arms? I don't want to go through the same hassle that you did James. I guess the thing to ask now would be has anyone actually seen these arms on an ST even?

The control arms and balljoints are exactly the same.

410Fortune said:
15" wheels will not clear the ST rotors :)
I've seen many ST's with 15's.

The ST has the same size rotors as the 2dr explorer. The ST and the Sport have the larger rotors while the four doors have smaller rotors up front.

As for suspension, they are the same, but 2wd and 4wd will differ accordingly.

Matt

2001ExpSport said:
The ST and the Sport have the larger rotors while the four doors have smaller rotors up front.
Matt

wierd that the bigger truck has the smaller rotors. I am on the hunt for the sport trac or Sport rotors, mounts, and calipers.

I just wish that the baer set up was still available.

Tim

The calipers and caliper brackets should be the same. The only difference is the spindle and rotor (for a 4wd at least). Everything else (ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel hub bearings) should work just fine.

CougarX said:
The calipers and caliper brackets should be the same. The only difference is the spindle and rotor (for a 4wd at least). Everything else (ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel hub bearings) should work just fine.

Wound't having the same size pads defeat the purpose of having a bigger rotor? I would think the caliper woull need to be different to fit a different sized pad in there.

15" wheels will not fit on the tracs/sports with the larger rotors. Only the newer ones came with the larger rotors. I believe this setup was also used on the '02+ 4 doors. Of course, not exactly, but close to it. 15" wheels do not fit on those either.

etc said:
Wound't having the same size pads defeat the purpose of having a bigger rotor? I would think the caliper woull need to be different to fit a different sized pad in there.

They are the same calipers. Look up the parts for a 02+ sport trac versus an older 2nd gen and they are the same. The rotors are bigger on the sport tracs, which puts the caliper and pad a bit further out on the rotor, which gives it more of a moment arm to resist against. Think of it as using a longer rachet or wrench that lets you tighten a bolt easier, just in reverse.

IAmTodd said:
15" wheels will not fit on the tracs/sports with the larger rotors. Only the newer ones came with the larger rotors. I believe this setup was also used on the '02+ 4 doors. Of course, not exactly, but close to it. 15" wheels do not fit on those either.

Some 15" wheels will fit. Steel wheels in particular are an easy fit because they are relatively thin. Some aluminum wheels won't fit because the 'drum' part around the center is thicker and can hit the caliper. I've got 15" steel wheels on mine and have probably 1/2"-3/4" of clearance to the caliper. I have seen people get some aluminum rims on, but also seen some wheels that won't fit.

IAmTodd said:

I have 15" alum rims on mine right now with the larger rotors. Not sure what you are talking about.

the reason why the 4 doors have smaller front rotors are prolly b/c of the rear disc brakes. sport tracs will fit 15 aluminum wheels they come from the factory like that(16inch ones are optional i had a sport trac before my edge). the rotors on the ranger edge are 10.25inch they are bigger than the sport trac rotors. ppl swap out the spindles and front brakes on sport tracs to ranger edge ones to lift them. find a ranger edge and swap the rotors/spindle and front brake parts. problem solved

Back