Front Suspension Rebuild Kits | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Suspension Rebuild Kits

well thats not good news.
i actually went back to advance auto and they had the moog joints cheaper than autozone.

what brand do the dealers use?the original ball joints held up for near a hundred thousand miles .seem to be going thru them every 2 years since swapping out the factory joints.

Can't go wrong with motorcraft either!

I used the exact ebay kit posted in the OP, it was less than $160 shipped.

I put it in last winter. 2 months later the endlink exploded. 3 Months after that the upper ball joints started making noise. Now the uppers are completely trashed and I have a set of Moog UCA/BJ on the way to install this weekend. The uppers didnt last more like 6-7000 miles. It's complete garbage. These parts shouldnt be changed with every oil change. I expect everything else in the kit to fail over the coming year and will replace with Moog.

Go Moog and replace the components as you can afford them.
Thats all I needed to hear, damn that sucks. Forget those kits then.

Can't go wrong with motorcraft either!
Is Motocraft the factory parts? Curious also what the originals were as they last 115K on the truck before noticeably going bad.

Is Motocraft the factory parts? Curious also what the originals were as they last 115K on the truck before noticeably going bad.

Yes motorcraft is Fords brand therefore the original parts.

Yes motorcraft is Fords brand therefore the original parts.

Actually, if you want to split hairs, Motorcraft is a Ford approved aftermarket part that is eligible for use in a warranty situation. Sometimes, believe it or not, you have a choice between buying a genuine Ford part (actual part that would be on the assembly line) and a Motorcraft(fully approved and certified by Ford aftermarket). I've noticed for example a Motorcraft unit may have a grease fitting where the Ford unit may not.

Some parts are exclusively "Motorcraft," even on the assembly line (like filters, batteries). Some parts, like a specialized electronic assembly (a GEM unit) would be only "Ford."

However, both Ford and Motorcraft parts are equal in quality and you can't go wrong either way. They are both approved for Ford warranty service, which is a good thing because they don't want comebacks. I never had any issues with Motorcraft/Ford, not to say aftermarket is bad but chances are with dealer parts you won't be doing the job again for a very long time.

If you want to know more here is a good link:

http://www.fordparts.com/products/OurProducts.aspx

The videos at the bottom tell the story.

Back