extended warranty or not ?

BXTF

Reaction score
City, State
TUCKAHOE NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
:usa:Hi all.
And first please excuse the caps lock i am disabled and this is the only way i can type. My name is ray i live in westchester county ny and will have a 2001 explorer sport trac by 3-15 10.

It has 46000 miles very good condition over all 4 new tires complete tune up and also complete brake job done in dec of 09 but i have a question for those with experience with this vehicle and extended warranty’s.

I have contacted ford about there extended warranty the esp plan 4 years or 48000 which ever comes first there price was $1740.00 +tax

i have contacted a few local dealers and asked them for a price for the same warranty it is the esp extra care plan and the dealers asked for the vin # and said i just need to bring it to them to verify the mileage and no inspection was needed and once i paid for the plan the warranty would be valid that day. But i have been getting several different prices from the dealers all lower then from ford but still up there lowest was
$1500+tax and the highest was $1645+tax is there any better deals i could follow i am not trying to be cheap but being out on disability and raising a family of four i have to watch every penny any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance and sorry for the long post.

Ray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't use after market warranties. If it is possible to get a Ford warranty then I would go that route. I would double check to see if you can get a Ford warranty agian. Generally you can not get the OEM extended coverage after the 3 year OEM is out. I bought my Sport Trac in August 2008 and it is a 2005 model; the milage was 36K, but the original sale date of the truck was June 2005, so the 3 year coverage was up by 2 months. They would not give me an extended coverage because it was out of date. They were willing to cover me with some after market coverage, but I decided to take my chances. The reason I don't like aftermarket coverage is because some shops does not honor them. It is a hard choice to make; good luck!

STrac4me.

I HAVE CONTACTED FORD DIRECTLY AND SOME DEALERS AND THEY CHECKED THE VIN # AND TOLD ME THAT I AM ABLE TO GET FORD’S ESP PLAN THIS IS NOT A THIRD PARTY BUT DIRECTLY FROM FORD AND IS GOOD AT ALL FORD DEALERS IN THE USA. I EVEN CONTACTED THE NYS ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE TO MAKE SURE THIS WAS A LEGAL AND AUTHENTIC FORD WARRANTY AND NOT A THIRD PARTY AND I SENT THEM THIS LINK THAT I AM SENDING YOU AND THEY SAID IT WAS A FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY AND NOT A THIRD PARTY.

AND MY TRUCK IS A 2001 WITH A LITTLE OVER 46000 MILES I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU WERE TOLD YOU COULD NOT GET ONE JUST A SUGGESTION TRY THE LINK WITH YOUR TRUCK AND SEE WHAT COMES UP THIS IS THE LINK http://www.fordwarrantys.com/ ONCE I HAVE POSSESSION OF MY TRUCK AND REGISTER IT I WILL GIVE YOU AN UPDATE. JUST A SIDE NOTE WHEN I SPOKE TO THE DEALERS AND THEY WANTED THE VIN # THEY TOLD ME THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE INSPECTION THAT IS ON THE FORD WEB SITE SINCE THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD A EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM FORD EVEN THOUGHT IT EXPIRED IN DEC 2009 THE ONLY THING THAT THE DEALER HAS TO DO IS CONFIRM THE MILEAGE AND THAT IS IT AND ON THE RECEIPT IT WILL SAY EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

I WAS JUST LOOKING TO SEE IF ANY OTHER FORD OWNERS HAVE THIS AND WAS TRYING TO GET A PRICE COMPARISON I HAVE A FRIEND THAT WORKS FOR ANOTHER AMERICAN DEALERSHIP AND WE COMPARED FORD TO HIS ALMOST APPLES TO APPLES BUT MY FRIEND SAID THAT THERE IS A BIG MARK UP ON THESE AND THE DEALERS MAKE A TON OF MONEY ON THEM HIS WARRANTY WAS $ 1045.00+ TAX BIG DIFFERENCE.

RAY
:usa:

Generally I think extended warranties aren't worth it. Definitely DO NOT buy a third-party warranty. They either go out of business or find creative ways to deny claims.
On most late-model vehicles, the big piece most likely to break is the transmission and that is about the same cost as an extended warranty ($1500-$2000). The Ford warranty for $1000 is a better deal but I'd still tell you to take the $1000 and put it in the bank instead in case anything breaks.

I was the person that said "I will never buy extended coverage"... but I bought a 1999 Dodge Avenger in 2002. I was offered the extended coverage, but I saw it as a waste of money. The car had 42K on it and looked, drove, and ran like new. When I got to 64K the problems started. I put nearly 2K into two different shops and one dealership and never got a good answer. I traded the car in and bought a 2005 Mustang GT. Yes I wanted the Mustang, but I did love the Avenger. If I had the extended coverage it would have been covered. Now I have extended coverage on all my vehicles except the Sport Trac. I guess I should have asked more questions when they told me it was too late to buy the warranty. I do know the more miles on the vehicle the higher the cost to buy in; maybe he was informing me that because of the out of date issue it would just cost me more. Who knows. I would not consider it now because I have 59K on my Sport Trac. Best of luck with your future purchace Ray; I am sure you will enjoy the truck.

I bought the Ford ESP warranty for my EX, and was very happy I did. And I would buy again in a heart beat, but would make it longer and for more mileage then you were quoted.

Chad551.
If you don’t mind me asking which one did you get and what was the cost? Also was the vehicle inspected or just the verification of the mileage as the dealers are telling me and do you know if the price negotiable? Thank you in advance.

Ray

I think mine around 1600-2k?? Not 100% sure and mine covered everything with 50.00 deductible and free rental car. No verification was needed I think I bought my online right before it went out of warranty for 3 years.

I also used every penny of the money spent:

3 radiators dont know why, but 3 of them had leaks.
5-6 Mass air sensors???
Tranny issue with the flare problem
Timing chains twice.
Broken lumbar in driver seat
2 radios the 6 disk changer has a tendency to stop working and your CD are stuck in the unit.

chad551.
thank you

I bought the extended warrenty on my 2004, and it was a huge waste of money. I only used it one time, to replace a dead rear window motor.

One more thought for you. If you like other car companies' warranties better than Fords see if you can buy theirs.

My luck with warranties:
1995 Honda Goldwing Honda warranty I lost on this one
1997 Dodge Avenger Dodge warranty paid itself a couple times over
1998 Ford Explorer Dodge warranty paid itself at least three times over
2002 Honda CR-V Honda warranty broke even slight win
2006 Ford Explorer Toyota warranty TBD

Back