Factory fog light switch and Bosch relay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory fog light switch and Bosch relay

Hi, picked up a 95 factory fog light switch with with 4 wires (tan/orange stripe, red/black stripe, blk, blue/blk stripe) and would like to use a Bosch relay to wire up a set of aftermarket fog lights. I do not have the factory relay or harness on my 95 Explorer but like the factory switch. Is the factory switch operate and wired the same way/manner as the aftermarket toggle from Autozone? Had anyone done this yet? Any help or info is deeply appreciated.:)

Most aftermarket switch diagrams show the switch on the hot side of the relay coil.
In order for the factory foglamp switch and its indicator lights to work, the factory switch must interupt the ground side of the relay coil.

tan/orange stripe = from relay-switched fog lamp power wire to dash switch's "fog power on" LED
red/black stripe = power from dash illumination circuit to switch's night illumination
blue/blk stripe = wire from ground side of relay coil to switch
blk = single common ground wire from switch and indicator lamps to vehicle chassis ground

Thanks, kind of confusing since I'm not a wiz at this stuff. I'll just pop in a 3.99 rocker switch from Autozone. Thank you much for the info's.:thumbsup:

You will still have to use a relay or your $3.99 switch will not last long.
This isnt Rocket Surgery....:D

I understand. I used a relay with those elcheapo switch before with the standard relay wiring diagram. Just not too comfortable wiring it differently with the factory switch. Thank you all by the way.

Back