• Register Today It's free!

Factory Rack on a 96

CaptainASU

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Is the factory rack on the 96 fairly decent for something like a canoe or is it more for just looks? I don't want to be traveling down the road and have the boat fly off because the rack is a POS. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And I don't want to move non-911 posts from the 911 forum, but people keep posting this stuff there!! :thumbdwn:

According to the book it should easily handle the weight but I'm not sure. I've never seen anyone actually use a factory rack for transporting kayaks or canoes. Have you ever seen one used in this capacity?

Yes, it can handle a canoe with ease. That's what its there for. I've had a canoe on the factory rack of my '88 Taurus wagon back in high school, my parent's 98 Windstar, and my Explorer. All basically the same rack design. I doubt Ford sticks them on there just for looks, its not like they look really cool or anything. Now the Nissan XTerra ones, those are cool..

Oh, to clarify Robb's post (the first reply to your post), the 911 forum is ONLY for emergency situations. You and your canoe do not justify an emergency. You on the side of the road with smoke pouring out from under the hood does.

it will hold a canoe just fine, i've done it with no problems

jayhawkexplorer said:
Oh, to clarify Robb's post (the first reply to your post), the 911 forum is ONLY for emergency situations. You and your canoe do not justify an emergency. You on the side of the road with smoke pouring out from under the hood does.

OK, Isn't this the General Explorations forum?

CaptainASU said:
OK, Isn't this the General Explorations forum?

Yes, but Robb moved it from the 911 forum to here.

Back