Factory security system and remote starrt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory security system and remote starrt

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have a 2004 without remote start and with the basic "horn" security system, If you want to call it a securirty system. I would like to add on a security system and possibly a remote start. I tried searching and could not come up with anything specific. I remember searching for somthing similiar for my 97 a while back and someone mentioned a factory system that could be added easily, worked well, and included remote start. Does anyone have any info on this? I forget what it was called, and dont even know if its available for the 3rd gen ex or not. If nothing factory, does anyone have any recomendations, I dont want to lose my keyless entry, key pad etc. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dannyb420 said:
I have a 2004 without remote start and with the basic "horn" security system, If you want to call it a securirty system. I would like to add on a security system and possibly a remote start. I tried searching and could not come up with anything specific. I remember searching for somthing similiar for my 97 a while back and someone mentioned a factory system that could be added easily, worked well, and included remote start. Does anyone have any info on this? I forget what it was called, and dont even know if its available for the 3rd gen ex or not. If nothing factory, does anyone have any recomendations, I dont want to lose my keyless entry, key pad etc. Thanks

i beleive that ford makes a remote start feature that you can get through them or the dealer. if you want a nice security system id check out viper, crimestopper, etc. the only thing is that you need an unused key to bypass you factory system. which is an extra 50 bucks through the dealer. im not sure if youl be able to still use your key pad or not. you will however get a remote that will unlock the doors for you like your regular system. hopefully that helps a little bit. im sure others will answer your question more thoroughly

silverstar

It took me some searching but I found the original post I had. The Ford factory system is called silver star. I will do some research online to try and find it and see if it is available for the 3rd generation ex

Go to your local Bestbuy they sell something like this.
I'm getting an Audiovox Remote Start installed in mine and keeping the factory alarm. The Start system keeps the all the remote features unlock/lock/hatch and I beleive panic (ie wife can't find the damn thing).

Anderson Ford in Berwyn, IL (Chicagoland) works with an installer who installs a remote star/alarm system that works with the factory stuff.... I'm not sure what they run, but the one my dad had but on his Expy was about $500 installed.

you can even get a remote start from walmart for $50-$90, though it reuqires tapping into the large engine connector.... not something I'm really wild about myself.... but i have a couple of friends who put them on their 97 and 99 ford pickups, and are quite happy with them.

pickupman said:
Anderson Ford in Berwyn, IL (Chicagoland) works with an installer who installs a remote star/alarm system that works with the factory stuff.... I'm not sure what they run, but the one my dad had but on his Expy was about $500 installed.

you can even get a remote start from walmart for $50-$90, though it reuqires tapping into the large engine connector.... not something I'm really wild about myself.... but i have a couple of friends who put them on their 97 and 99 ford pickups, and are quite happy with them.
That's a rip. Mine was installed for $200 and that included tieing it into the Jeep Factory system

I have a 2003 xls. I installed an omega MARS remote start keyless entry system about three months ago.
The MARS unit was $40 New from ebay, PATS key bypass was $5 again from ebay. I used the PATS bypass that requires a key in a box under the dash (I got the blank PATS key from ebay also $15)
the reasons I chose an aftermarket remote start VS the "Ford" remote start are:
1 Price "ford" unit was very expensive
2 Remote range, the Omega has amazing range, the ford uses a stock type remote, poor range
3 I had watched a pro install an Omega In my old Ex in 30 minutes and it worked flawless for the 3 years I had it, so I figured I could do it with similiar success.
I had never installed a remote start before, and with a wiring diagram I found online it took me about 4 hours.
The Omega can be hooked up to open the gate glass with the trunk button
I know my prices are low, but I spent a lot of time on ebay searching for those items.
If you can install a radio you can do this
Good Luck

I forgot to mention that you don't have to leave a cut PATS key in the box.
The trick is, get a non-PATS key cut for your truck.
Then go through the add a key programing steps
When it's time for you to insert the PATS key, put in the non PATS key, with the PATS key head touching the non PATS head, and turn it in the ignition. It may take a couple of tries before you have the transponder in the right spot.
After you get it programed the PATS key WOULD start the truck if it was cut, but since it's not you can put it in the key box and it will work with the remote start.
Also if you ever lost a key just pull the uncut PATS, cut it, and you have saved yourself a trip to the stealership.

our remotes dont work when are vehicles are running. therefore, that system would not work. ford offers an aftermarket OEM one if youre interested.

What is the aftermarket system called?

im not sure of the name of the system. i know that it is offered through ford dealers though. so maybe give one of them a call if its not listed on the web.

If you check out www.the12volt.com they can help you through everything. One of the best sites for electronic installs.

The dealer-installed and Ford-approved systems are made by CodeAlarm. They are available on Ebay for about $160 for the unit, and another $40 for the PATS bypass. Installation is tedious, but when done properly, it seamlessly integrates into the existing security system.

Any system that uses a key in a box to bypass the PATS is junk IMHO. The Ford/Code Alarm systems use a tone ting that mimicks a key when the system tries to start it, but otherwise does not allow the system to be bypassed. Not so of many of the key-in-a-box systems. Often times, those essentially defeat the PATS system all the time.... Not a wise choice IMHO, but to each his own.

-Joe

id go with the code alarm...i got that installed on my car...works flawless i have the 02 explorer ....cost me 350 installed with the unit...heres teh site you can check it out..... www.code-alarm.com

Back