Factory Speed Limiter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Speed Limiter

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Had to go to ER last evening probably hit 90, got to thinking, what is the speed limiter set at on these things? It's not in the manual.

I've always assumed Ford set their Trucks at 100 and their Cars at 120 or 130.

A early 2000's F150 decided race me in my Turbo car a long time ago and as soon as hit 100 he fell behind fast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know myself when the limiter kicks in.
On my 2001 Ranger, it was at 95 mph, but others had different numbers.
I have only had my Explorer up to 75 (legal highway speed)

I own a 2003 Monty and I was stationed for a while in Germany and a few times I topped it out just to see how it went. Surprisingly the truck was really smooth that I did not even notice I was moving that fast, just kinda going with flow of traffic. Anyway my Monty topped out at 118. It actually bogged out like if I stepped on the brakes for like 5 seconds and then it picked up again but at that point I slowed down to 100 ish the rest of the way with no issue. The no speed limit in Germany is pretty neat, even when you don't want to you almost feel compelled to go fast.

My '02 Mountaineer topped out at 108 before the computer kicked in.

I saw that option when I had my SCT X4 tuner hooked up, I believe that it could be changed.

My early build 2002 is set to 105 mph. With my 265/60/16 tires that's gets me 110 mph (GPS verified...)

I'd like to know myself when the limiter kicks in.
On my 2001 Ranger, it was at 95 mph, but others had different numbers.
I have only had my Explorer up to 75 (legal highway speed)

85-final.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/US/speeding-texas-85-mph-highway-opens/story?id=17549839

Another detail listed on the FordEtis site for some vehicles. Found near the bottom of minor features.

Vehicle Lookup
With Overspeed Warning Disabled

Back