• Register Today It's free!

fairly simple ?

cool_guy546

Reaction score
City, State
Rogers, Ark
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I don't want a lot of bass but something I can feel. I also want my system to get slightly louder. I have upgraded tbe door speakers. I am looking at two things now. There is a bazooka bass tube that has a 5 channel amp in it. A 100 watt for the sub which is an 8" then a 4 channel which is 4x25 for the door speakers, mine now are only getting 17. That amp also has a crossover with it in the bass tube sending stuff above 100hz to the speakers then below that to the sub Should I get that. Or get a bazooka bass tube that is a 10" and has RMS of 150 watts.

My main question is, if I were to get any type of sub and run it into the head unit to control it. Will the head unit send the low frequencies to the sub. So, would adding a sub take work off my door speakers trying now to handle all frequencies. Doing that would also cause the system to get louder. So yeah, does hooking up any type of sub take away the door speakers trying to do it causing less distortion and better overall sound?

ok first of all...what kind of deck is it? is it the factory still? aftermarket? if it is aftermarket does it have front,rear, and a sub preout? you sound new to this so I will make it as understandable as possible...when you add a sub to an existing system you need to use te sub pre-out on your deck...when you do this you are able to control the internal crossovers and bypass the low pass frequencies...which, to answer your question will take some distortion away from your mids and highs depending on what frequencies you set your crossover to. Also, if you want good sound quality, first get a nice deck with at least 3 4volt pre-outs and a crossover/eq system that allows you to select frequency ranges for your speakers Eclipse, Clarion and Nakamichi all have these capabilities and are very nice, then invest in a good component set up front and some nice coaxials or another cmponents set in the rear and get a 4 channel amp and give them the RMS power at bare minumum. Then get just a 10" sub in a nice sealed box, no prefab crap, do it yourself or have someone do it for you, but do it right. And get a nice mono-block amp for that sub. As far as speakers, if you are on a budget go with something like Rockford Fosgate or Kicker Resolution series. If money isnt an object Dynaudio, CDT, MB Quart, Focal and Alpine SPX series are filthy speakers. For amps both 4 channel and monoblock, Kicker and Rockford as well as Phoenix Gold tantrums kick butt for a low price, you could dish out some serious cash roll and get a McIntosh, PPI, A/D/S, or Diamond D7...JL Audio makes sweet amps at fairly competitive prices, I like them alot, great technology that I am not gunna go in depth on unless you request it. And finally, for subs if you want good sound quality but want the bass when needed go with JL Audio...w0's are very innexpensive but will blow easier than the w3, w6, or w6v2 all which require more power...you could also go with something like Adire...they pound...or MB Quart, Alumapro, Kicker even makes good subs at reasonable prices. Dont fudge with your system, do it right and take your time, in the long run you will be much happier. Good Luck!

So yeah, does hooking up any type of sub take away the door speakers trying to do it causing less distortion and better overall sound?
If your asking will hooking up a sub to a deck keep the low frequency notes from your highs, then no. It will only do it if your deck has adjustable cross-overs. I'd stay away from Bazooka, and 25x4 isn't enough power for the doors(unless the amp is a good brand and underrated;) ) You could always get a passive crossover or BassBlockers to keep the low frequencies out of your highs.

Back