• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch removal please help

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Does anyone know the specific tool to get the fan clutch off the 5.0? I need to change my water pump. Bought a tool from o Reilly’s with a wrench and fork and left the belt on and I widened out the wrench. I turned it clockwise it says right hand thread in shroud. Should I buy a new clutch at this mileage too? 172k

image.jpg

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it’s right hand thread (IIRC it is) and you turned it clockwise viewing it from the front of the vehicle, you just tightened the nuts off it.

Got mine off by turning it counter clock wise, need something to hold it still, i used self made tool to grab 2 of the 4 bolts holding the fan.

it is regular thread on the 5.0
sometimes you can use the serpentinebelt itself to hold tension on the wp pulley while you remove the fan clutch nut

I have a clutch fan tool from napa that works on all of these trucks, it holds two bolts while you turn with the wrench
The wrenches also have a 1/2" drive square hole in the end so if you need more leverage you can add a 1/2 ratchet

sometimes you can use the serpentinebelt itself to hold tension on the wp pulley while you remove the fan clutch nut
That's how I do it

I'll throw in my 2 cents /McGuyver... on my Jeep I drilled like a 1/4" hole in side of w.p. pulley and ran long philips screwdriver through hole to hold pulley.. not sure if the Ford 5.0 pulley has enough of a "dome" contour/siding to do this....

I'll throw in my 2 cents /McGuyver... on my Jeep I drilled like a 1/4" hole in side of w.p. pulley and ran long philips screwdriver through hole to hold pulley.. not sure if the Ford 5.0 pulley has enough of a "dome" contour/siding to do this....
One can also hold the pump pulley with a giant pipe wrench......

There are several videos: Here are a couple

Back