FastboxR's Explorer with boat sides? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FastboxR's Explorer with boat sides?

I have done a little bit of looking around on the forums and have not found anybody that has done a full boat-side to an explorer. Below there are two pictures that are a cherokee. That is what I am trying to acomplish. The other three pictures are of my 92 ex that I have taped up and am contemplating cuting. The top of the blue tape is where the slider would be welded to the A, B, C pilllars, cage work (inside and out) and the frame at a 45 degree angle. This set up would elimate about 12 inches of body that is currently hanging, that catches you up on the larger rocks. This would mean that I would have to make the body ridgid to the frame, have to cut the doors and pillar and to adapt all cage work to the new rocker/slider in one.

Let me know what you guys think before i do this and if you have any in-put on the logistics of this mod. The explorer is "questionably" street leagal and I would like to keep it legal as possible even though it is a trailer queen. I do drive it around town every once and a while cause its fun to drive and all the j**pers waive till they realize its not a cherokee, then they just look confused or discusted. That cracks me up everytime

I built the cage, sliders, everything by myself or got a hand from a buddy. Fabrication is not a problem. I will do a write up if the cutting and welding and lots of pictures if this is something anyone is interested in?

thanks for your time guys,

Picture408-1.jpg

Picture447-1.jpg

IMG_20101101_173409-1.jpg

IMG_20101101_173419-1.jpg

IMG_20101025_153047.jpg

I have not posted any updated pictures of the explorer lately. I got the plastic boat sides mounted on the ends and there are a couple tabs to hold the middle parts on till I drill and tap the ribs. I got new rear lights in, finished the welding, put new door hinge pins in, fixed the glass in the driver door, painted up most of the cage, and got a lot of little misc. stuff done on the explorer.

the new floor pan is in and I bedlined it too. Its mostly ready to wheel. I want to put the belly skid on and then I will be ready to go for sure.
IMG_20110430_120237.jpg

IMG_20110430_120243.jpg

IMG_20110430_144920.jpg

IMG_20110430_144928.jpg

IMG_20110430_144935.jpg

IMG_20110430_144942.jpg

IMG_20110402_173853.jpg

Can you still open the rear doors all the way with the b pillar bar on the exo cage. Been looking for some ideas on a exo.

Yeah I can open the rear doors all the way but I took a ball-pein hammer with a rag over the door and rounded the door to the shape of the tube where it hit to give it more opening clearance. Its doesnt look too bad at least not as bad as what the trails will do to a rig. That tube is a smaller size too. Its 1 1/4 rather than the 1 3/4 used on most of the other parts of the cage.

Back