Faulty brake shift interlock solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Faulty brake shift interlock solenoid?

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
My shifter interlock solenoid is intermittently stuck open. Meaning it can be shifted out of park when the brake isn't depressed. How can this solenoid be replaced and where is it located and how is it replaced? I've got a secure idle solution and I want to make sure the shifter cannot be pulled out of park. Sometimes it'll stay in park and locked.

Are you sure there is a solenoid? As far as I know, the brake shift interlock has to be released manually. Perhaps I'm thinking of a different interlock.

Peter

Are you sure there is a solenoid? As far as I know, the brake shift interlock has to be released manually. Perhaps I'm thinking of a different interlock.

Peter
The locking mechanism that keeps the shifter locked to park when the brake isn't depressed. It's stuck open or something because I can shift out of park without pressing on the brake.

It's a part of the overall shift selector that the lever attaches to, I don't know that they sell it separately. If you have Forscan you might check for errors, and check fuse 18 that powers it, if it's not a wiring issue you'll need a new shift mechanism on the side of the column where the shifter itself attaches. On the plus side they're the same for PIU and Taurus all years.

Back