Feeling bumps in 4 wheel drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feeling bumps in 4 wheel drive

celts55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
First, Hello to all, as I am new to this forum.
So here my question. I live in Vermont, so I use my 4 wheel drive a fair amount. When in 2 wheel drive I barely feel any bumps in the road, but in 4 wheel drive on the same road I feel everything.
Today one of these "bumps" for lack of better word, accually made my rear end jump enough it put car into a skid. I have never experanced anything like this before, and don't know where to start.
I have checked tire pressure and thats good.
Its a 2005 sports trac. Anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since power is applied to the front wheels (now being driven) you will feel an increase of road 'feedback' through the front end, but it should not be a lot - but noticeable.

As far as the rear end jumping I am at a loss on this unless the front end was gripping and the rear end came loose with lack of bed weight - just hypothesizing here.

I know when we are going to experience snow I try to put an appropriate amount of weight in the bed (truck dependent) to help the rear end from sliding out, even when in 4WD.

*EDIT - To add on the bed weight; for my 3/4 ton I put around 1K lbs. For the 1/2 ton I put in around 500 lbs. I just did trial an error until I found the right bed weight, and position of the weight for optimum traction.

Thanks, I don't really have any weight in the bed. I'll give that a shot.

My 01 kind of does the same thing. I'm quite sure it is jumping in and out of 4wd. The rear slides out when it jumps out due to lack of traction. Any ideas on that, anyone?

Snacks, mine does that as well. Replaced fluid in t-case and it improved, but still does some. It works well enough I can make it through the winter, but this summer I'm gonna get it fixed, whatever it is.

I heard it may be a clip inside the hub itself allowing the hub clutch to slid out of position. Come spring, I'm tearing them down for rebuild. There are rebuild kits pretty cheap, $40 or so.

Do you know if your axles are open or limited slip?
It is not uncommon to have a wheel 'skip' while going around a corner while in 4x4 even with an open differential

Not sure but happens straight line, not so much when turning. No rhyme or reason.

If it is happening in a straight line then I would focus on the transfer case as beecoach said. Change the fluid and look for any debris on the old to indicate damage. The shifting solenoid could be failing and not fully engaging

All right, sounds good. Start there, then hubs! Gotcha! Thanks!

Back