Few questions about the explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Few questions about the explorer

draw73

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this site and it has a lot of good information. My wife finally decided on getting an Explorer over the GM Acadia. She wants the limited in Ginger Ale with 302A, second row bucket seats but no center console. We plan on going to test drive the V-6 and ecoboost tomorrow to make a final decision on which engine. The problem is no one in the state has color/options we want so it would most likely need to be ordered. My questions are:

I heard Ford stops production on new vehicles from Thanksgiving to the end of the year - Is this true? If so it would make it unlikley that we would receive the vehicle by the end of the year and I would hate to miss out on the $1000 rebate offered.

I would also like to trade in her current vehicle - Would I bring this up when I order or when the explorer arrives? It seems I would be at the dealers mercy on trade in if its done when the explorer arrives.

Is the final price discussed at time of order? I'm eligible for x-plan pricing so I don't think there would be much difference.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) I'll go with V6 just a personal preference.
2) Ford only shutsdown 2 weeks over christmas
3) I'll bring up the trade in at time of order that way you know how much you'll get for it upfront.

Hi, I just found this site and it has a lot of good information. My wife finally decided on getting an Explorer over the GM Acadia. She wants the limited in Ginger Ale with 302A, second row bucket seats but no center console. We plan on going to test drive the V-6 and ecoboost tomorrow to make a final decision on which engine. The problem is no one in the state has color/options we want so it would most likely need to be ordered. My questions are:

I heard Ford stops production on new vehicles from Thanksgiving to the end of the year - Is this true? If so it would make it unlikley that we would receive the vehicle by the end of the year and I would hate to miss out on the $1000 rebate offered.

I would also like to trade in her current vehicle - Would I bring this up when I order or when the explorer arrives? It seems I would be at the dealers mercy on trade in if its done when the explorer arrives.

Is the final price discussed at time of order? I'm eligible for x-plan pricing so I don't think there would be much difference.

Thanks

Just so you know the second row buckets don't have inboard arm rests so if you don't order the console there isn't a place to rest your arms. You also can't order it as a unit from the parts department and all of the parts are over 1k. It would be cheaper to order it and if you don't like it remove it and buy the plastic cover that goes over the hole in the carpet.

My wife wanted an Acadia. I made her wait a year for the Explorer to come out, desperately hoping she would like it so I didn't have to buy a GM. She liked it of course. We got second row buckets without a console. Like MikeFreas said, there are no armrests. If I had it to do over again, I would have ordered the console.
Ford has an incentive protection program which would lock in the rebate at the time of order. If the rebate is better when you take delivery, you get the better rebate.
I'm not sure about the turbo stuff yet. I'd keep it simple go with the V6.
Definitely want your price settled when you order, for the EX and the trade in.

Get the centre console, it will hold all your DVD binders and headsets if you get the DVD headrests, and it has a bunch of cup holders and other little storage goodies. I love ours!

My wife wanted an Acadia. I made her wait a year for the Explorer to come out, desperately hoping she would like it so I didn't have to buy a GM. She liked it of course. We got second row buckets without a console. Like MikeFreas said, there are no armrests. If I had it to do over again, I would have ordered the console.
Ford has an incentive protection program which would lock in the rebate at the time of order. If the rebate is better when you take delivery, you get the better rebate.
I'm not sure about the turbo stuff yet. I'd keep it simple go with the V6.
Definitely want your price settled when you order, for the EX and the trade in.

FYI

IMO
Having buckets with no arm rests is essentially the same as sitting on a bench seat since your inside arm doesnt have arm rests there either. Yes it would be nice to have them but i dont think its the end of the world not having them. I think most people lean towards the door anyway.

we have the buckets without console as well. its great for all the ankle biters going to the 3rd row through the opening between 2nd row seats. its kinda nice not having to fold up the second row to get the kids back there. however i would have liked the console if that were not a consideration.

Thanks for the replys. We also planned on getting the rear seat DVD so after thinking about where to put the headphones and kids games we are going to get the center console

Thanks for the replys. We also planned on getting the rear seat DVD so after thinking about where to put the headphones and kids games we are going to get the center console

You might wanna reconsider the DVD option. Search this forum. There are other, less expensive options that you can get. You can buy similar ones after market for 1/2 the price and they look and function almost identically.

There are threads on this site that discuss one such aftermarket products and their results are nice. Try searching for them - you could save a lot of money. Heck for $1500 you can get two iPads and they have mounting brackets for the back of cars.

I like the bucket seats and like you, we chose the Explorer over the Acadia. Couldn't be happier!

FYI

IMO
Having buckets with no arm rests is essentially the same as sitting on a bench seat since your inside arm doesnt have arm rests there either. Yes it would be nice to have them but i dont think its the end of the world not having them. I think most people lean towards the door anyway.

The bench has a decent fold down center arm rest.

Make sure you see the ginger ale before you order. It looks much nicer than it actually is in the pictures

Yes, we actually saw a Ginger Ale Explorer in person. My wife loved the color, so now we are just waiting for the dealer to find one for us.

Yes, we actually saw a Ginger Ale Explorer in person. My wife loved the color, so now we are just waiting for the dealer to find one for us.
Welcome to the forum, draw73; your wife made a great choice! You’ll be happy with the Explorer, as many on this site can attest to. Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

Cory

Is this only in certain cars? My rear bench does not have a fold down arm rest.

It would appear that the Limited is the only model to come with an armrest on the bench seat. I never realized that.

I wish I had the center console. Do order it, and I'm sure if you don't like it someone on the forum will be glad to buy it from you. I ordered the factory dual DVDs. Very cool the grandkids can watch the same, or each can watch their own DVD. Covered under Ford warranty. They came already mounted in color matched headrests and I guess "plug and play" into existing wiring harness.

Can you ask the powers to be to offer a retrofit 2nd row console, already assembled at a reasonable price. It appears many of us would order it.

Back