Final Axle Position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Final Axle Position

Hey all, i'm wanting to determine the final axle postion for my sas. I'm using a 79 D44, full width, stock 79 radius arm. I want to move the axle up as far as I can without changing any steering components. It'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of the picture below but as yall know this is pretty darn important to get spot on. Question is, are the rear (front) leaf spring hangers a good reference point when dialing in the fial position? I'm assuming that some small adjustments can be made by shimming the bushings on the radius arms but of course I do not want to have to do that! For those of you who have done this, how did you get this all important position exact? Just looking for advice. Thanks! :D

YES, I know that castor is WAAAAY off, I have 3* bushings in it for mock up, i'll buy 7* ones later. This is my desired ride height as well ;)
DSC00477.JPG

I'll give ya a beer if I meet ya if you can spot all the jerry rigs included in this picture, excluding my high dollar mask-o-cad system haha. **hint** They are all on the axle

Yeah the leaf spring hangers on the rear axle is a good measuring point - thats what I used.

Cool stuff, thanks :)

I pulled the axle back out from under the truck this weekend, will have to mock it all back up again, put my mounts and bushings on and tack them in place (going to tack them before I drill holes for bolts). Wish I had a freakin weekend to work on this!

Just curious, you see any issues with my proposed setup/location? I'm somewhat worried about the exaust...may have to add a couple inches to the lift. I already decided to put my add a leaves back in, my rear pack is fully shot i'm afraid. Think i may have to build a new one :(

What kind of steering are you going with? If you do a cross over you could go forward atleat a few more inches. If going with just histeer or an inverted T style you will be pushing it with where you have it. The tie rod and drag link might hit if you go any farther.

I'm going to flip the tie rod and run 1 ton chevy TRE's.

I think this is about the farthest I can go...

Back