Finally got my Ranger running!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally got my Ranger running!!!

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0

It took about 3 months, but I finally got my Ranger running...

5-18-09001.jpg

5-20-09003.jpg

And a quick video...

th_ranger.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It sounds great...:biggthump

...I sure hope you wrote down everything it takes to get that motor in and running, and will post up the info here...We have people looking for answers to those questions all the time...:popcorn:

I don't have much wrote down yet, but I have some receipts and boxes from the parts. It may take a while, but I'll throw together something with some pics.

The truck is a '97 that had a 2.3/manual, but now has a 5.0 HO and AOD from a '92 Thunderbird.

holy crap man.. I think i need to change my pants....
good job! sounds nice :D
I want to see that move! make a vid of you hauling @ss!

Hell yea I wanna see you haul some ass:D

Sounds awesome what else did u put on the ranger i see u got the 302 in it what else did u do did put dual exhaust or headers or what

It's open headers for now until I can get it into the exhaust shop. I drove it to the gas station like this the other night, lol.

It's open headers for now until I can get it into the exhaust shop. I drove it to the gas station like this the other night, lol.

LOUD. Sounds great. Great work. That 5.0 is one hellevua engine.

Sweet. Lots of used Torque Monsters suddenly for sale. Would be a good time to put a set in (do Explorer headers fit this setup?). :D

very nice!! what transmission did you use???

Looks great!!

very nice!! what transmission did you use???

Looks great!!
I used an AOD from a '92 Thunderbird. Although it's not the strongest transmission, it was super easy to install since it has no electronics to control it... and the Ranger weighs about 1,000 pounds less than the Bird, so it should last pretty good in there.

The bad news though is that I lost my job and had to sell the Ranger :mad: to pay some bills.

The good news is that now I have a '93 extended cab Ranger, a 460/C6/NP205, and a D44 front with the weld-on C's... I'm gonna put this package together now. :D

Back