• Register Today It's free!

Finding Key Code #

Grey_Wolf

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
:exp: Just got my new Explorer Limited with keyless entry. I need to put the key code # for the Roadside Assistance card. Is it on the tag attached to the key unit? If so, which one? I can't find anything in the manual or online that tells me. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure I understand your question. Set the keyless entry code with a custom code number, and us that. What am I missing?

:exp: Just got my new Explorer Limited with keyless entry. I need to put the key code # for the Roadside Assistance card. Is it on the tag attached to the key unit? If so, which one? I can't find anything in the manual or online that tells me. Thanks
Are you talking about the code for the key pad that lights up on the door or for the actual keyfob? I never received that code (keyfob) and assume the dealer kept it on my file. If you are talking about the 5 digit code for the door, there should be a card in with the manuals and it can also be found, at least in mine, under the dash by the fuse panel above the parking brake. In mine it is a white sticker that also has a bar code on it.
I never filled out any card for roadside assistance.

Peter

You mean the code to have a hard key cut at the dealer? Or the keyless entry keypad code?

The hard key code should be on the little stickers on the back of the keyfobs the dealer gave you. It's a 4 digit code with letters and numbers. If your salesman took them off prior to delivery, you can obtain the code from the dealer (parts dept) by giving them your vin#.

Thanks. I need the actual key code # since the Roadside Assistance can unlock my door by satellite if I was ever stupid enough to lock my key inside. Evidently I need the four digit code. I'll call the dealer.

Thanks. I need the actual key code # since the Roadside Assistance can unlock my door by satellite if I was ever stupid enough to lock my key inside. Evidently I need the four digit code. I'll call the dealer.
I know you can do that with OnStar but I wasn't aware you could do it with the Explorer.
If you ever lock you keys inside, which isn'yt that easy to do, why not just use the touch keypad on the driver's door to unlock it?

Peter

Since I haven't locked my keys in the car in over 30 years, it's not like I will any time soon. It's just a nice bonus feature and I figured I'd be ready in the weird chance all else failed.:D

Since I haven't locked my keys in the car in over 30 years, it's not like I will any time soon. It's just a nice bonus feature and I figured I'd be ready in the weird chance all else failed.:D
I wish you luck but I don't think it will work. But then again I have been wrong once or twice. :)
I think in 50 years I've only locked the keys inside once.

Peter

The little cards you fill out are for your wallet, not to send in to Ford Roadside. It's so you can have your vehicle info handy for faster service, it even states that on the card itself. Ford does not have the ability to unlock your vehicle by satellite.

Grey_wolf

You know you just jinxed yourself!!!

I'm not sure how, but supposedly Roadside Assistance can unlock the car with the VIN and key code. I carry it in a card in my wallet anyway. I suppose if Onstar can do it, so can Roadside Assistance. Since I can open the car with the keyless entry code, I can't see ever needing, but wanted to cover all bases. I do like the Explorer, though. Still learning all the little extras.:D

Onstar uses a seperate phone number assigned to the vehicle, that is how they communicate with it. Ford does not have that feature, so no, they cannot unlock your vehicle remotely. Roadside Assistance uses your vin in case you lose you keys and they can give it to a locksmith to have new keys cut.

Hey Grey_Wolf,

I just wanted to touch base with you and make sure you had all of your questions answered. Your dealership should be able to provide you with your key codes; you just need a bring in a photo ID and vehicle documentation with the VIN and your name on it. Let me know if you need any additional assistance!

Crystal

Back