Finding the chirp - Pwr Strg pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finding the chirp - Pwr Strg pump?

lkrav3

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.0 4x4
Our "new to us" 4.0 XLT with 133k miles has a rhythmic chirp or squeak coming from somewhere in the serpentine belt's path. We replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. Sounds like, though, the chirp that remains could be coming from the power steering pump area. (best we can tell, anyway, when we lean in as close as we dare and try to isolate it...) It also seems to happen at the same point in the belt's travel (based on seeing the same blurred brand logo/image go by at roughly the same time/speed of the chirp.

We have no power steering problems that we know of... no difficulty turning, no groaning/whining from the pump. Nothing noteworthy at all.

I'm wondering: could the chirp be caused by a problem solely with the pulley on the end of ps pump?... as opposed to the pump itself?... Any help diagnosing this would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke

I had a 4.0L in my 2000 XLT that did the same thing. I did everything I could do to stop it from chirping. I replaced the harmonic balancer. It never had a chirp again. It only takes a fraction of an inch wobble where the belt rides to create a chirp. If you a good mechanic you can change it yourself. Just remember to not let the engine rotate backwards.

Find the sticky about the harmonic balancer and read it! Please!

I'm wondering: could the chirp be caused by a problem solely with the pulley on the end of ps pump?... as opposed to the pump itself?... Any help diagnosing this would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke

Check and make sure nothing is leaking down on to your serpentine belt like antifreeze, even a small amount of coolant on the belt could cause it to "chirp" or slip. Look real good around the water pump and t-stat housing.

Back