first it clicked....now it dont work....help me I want my 4x4 back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

first it clicked....now it dont work....help me I want my 4x4 back

wolfpaw67

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg Il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt
Done and went crazy the other night Now 4x4 dont work...First there was a clicking noise then nothing now...... the 4x4 light dont even come on.....please someone help me to trobleshoot this problem cause I would hate to take the ride into a mechanic without knowing what possibly might be wrong...or even might be able to repair it by myself . Thanks....Wolfpaw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Describe the clicking noise. Is this a clicking noise while driving coming from the front end or is this a clicking noise coming from the back of the truck when pushing the 4x4 button?

I bet it is the 4wd modulator located in the back in front of your rear washer solvent bottle, I have two If you need one 40$ + shipping

P.S. open the panel with the veh running, and see if the red L.E.D light is on, if not I think there is a reset button on it(not sure though, had same problem a couple of years ago) also to remove I think youre going to need a metric 6.5 mm socket

Read about transfer case/4x4 problems at this site. Great info, especially for first Gen's like yours... Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
Read about transfer case/4x4 problems at this site. Great info, especially for first Gen's like yours... Dead Link Removed
Agreed the problem is most likely the electric shift motor.

Good News: It can most likely be fixed easily, and for free.

Bad News: There are a few(like mine) that cant be fixed by cleaning, and the part runs in the neighborhood of $250+.

Most likely the shift motor...mine does that if i don't engage the 4 wheel drive for a long time...just get under there and beat on it with a hammer to break it lose, not too hard though, i've heard of people breaking the magnets inside the motor. Once you get it working again, just remember to engage and disengage it often...i hit the button every few days just sitting in my driveway now, since i've been doing that, no more problems.

thanks guys....the info helped alot....now the 4x4 is working but the clicking and poping continues in the front end......only when iI put in 4x4.....what can this be???also I tried it in the mud.....it seems to be working but no mud was thrown on the fender???? more info please.....thanks again.....Wolf

Worn Autohubs wolf? Switch to manuals.

If you're in 4x4 on dry/hard surfaces, you will ruin your front end. Popping in 4x4 on the first Gens is 99% caused by shot Autohubs. As stated above, switch to manuals....

4x4 problem

i have the same problem with my explorer, whenever i press the button all i hear is a clicking from the back which i think is the electronic shift control module, but if i press it a few times the lights in the dash go on but i can tell the vehicle is not in four wheel drive. Is there any suggestions?

If you would like I can e-mail the photos of exactly what wears on the older style autohubs.

Hi All,

I bought my 93 X knowing the 4x4 didn't work (just couldn't pass up the price). Thanks to the links on this site, I was able to get it working again and for FREE.

I did notice, none of the links ever suggest checking the position of the sensors on the modulator in the transcase. That was my only problem. I ohmed it out, and it didn't read like it was supposed to (according to one of the links I followed about cleaning and reassembly of the motor). I simply rotated the sensor and got 4x4 back.

My point: before you go gun ho and start tearing out the mod motor out of the transfer case, (tho cleaning it won't hurt) you might want to disconnect and check with an ohm meter the position sensor reading.

Siekyre

Hey guys....thanks again..Guess what.... auto hubs it is .....getting it put together this weekend and be ready to go on sunday......YEA BABY YEA!!!!!!!!...yea rocco...if u would send those at wolfpaw_672000@yahoo.com i would like to see them.....anyway dudes ,call on me if you need anything or any qustions.....I'm outta here....again ya guys are lifesavers.......i here a mud hole callin my name ....I'm gone.........Wolfpaw:)

Back