first long trip with my new mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

first long trip with my new mountaineer

mountaineerbeast

Reaction score
City, State
Socorro, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
My mountaineer has about 170000 miles and i am about to go on a short 80 mile trip (160 miles total). After the first 80 miles it then has to drive off road for a little while.

I will also eventually have to take it all the way to Socorro NM about 1900 miles and it then has to last four years out west on top of this massive trip.

What should i do to prepare the vehicle for the first trip (if anything)?

What should i do to prepare the mountaineer for the 1900 mile trip?

Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If anything is known problem with the truck fix it first before leaving! Assuming it runs okay now, I would treat this like a long drive in any other vehicle.

Change the oil & filter, new air filter, check all the fluids (if low, figure out why before topping off ie worn brake pads or radiator leaks), check the serp belt for wear, check tires including spare for any cracks or bulges and be sure are properly aired, take a reasonable tool kit including jack & tire iron, take a cell phone, get AAA membership paid up, take a map and GPS, some spare $$ just in case, have an emergency kit with first aid and water.

Other than that stuff -- Have FUN!

Back