Tips for old explorer on a long drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips for old explorer on a long drive

icu400

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hello,

I'm about to embark on a fairly long trip with my 1995 Explorer XLT. I'm going to be driving about 1000 miles to my initial destination, staying there and driving locally for a few months, then driving 1000 miles back.

Basically I'm just concerned about how my car will handle the trip, and what I can do to help make sure it doesn't blow up on me on either leg of the trip.

I made the trip successfully last year, but so now the car has 157k miles on it.

I have had the oil changed recently, within the last 500 miles. I am also getting new tires since the current ones are basically done.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Conrad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Just a few quick things come to mind...:scratch:

...Personally inspect all your fluids...Then change all your fluids...
Inspect all hoses, Belts, Idler pulley, and vacuum lines...
Change all filters including fuel filter...
Tires- Inspect and carry a spare that is as good or better than what the other 4 are..Have the air at 10% less than max. tire pressure on tire..
Alignment- Firestone has a lifetime alignment for $169 and is good at all Firestone stores
Brakes- Get them inspected for free
Battery - Pull it out and have it bench tested for free

..Get AAA for the unexpected emergencies and definitely get the package with the 200 mile towing..;)

^ he pretty much summed it up.

Might want to grease your ball joints and bushings to keep annoying squeeks away.

Check or replace the tstat, make sure you have your jack, some tools and an ipod or something :p:

have a friend walk beside it when its moving to listen for any squeaks...do what teh guys said, basic tune up, and get some good cd's.

Yup do a basic tune up, toss a new belt in the back just for insurance, top off all fluids, check the wheel bearings and adjust if necessary. Do a visual inspection for any coolant, oil or power steering leaks.

If you have any doubts, take it on a quick 1-2 hour road trip to see if anything shows up under extended cruise. Highway driving is less stressful on a car than city driving.

You should average about 20-22mpg.

over the last couple years I've taken my '95 with 250k on the clock to Colorado from Dallas (a 2,000 mile round trip) and it does just fine.

BUT most importantly, bring your ipod..

Maybe I'm a little over cautious...

For a what could turn out to be a 2.5-3K mile trip, you are very likely to be traveling through some sparsely populated/wilderness areas with limited or no cellular service.

Personally, I would rent (or buy, if you travel like this a lot) a Sat-Phone for around $35 bucks a month, plus about $.99 a minute usage. They work everywhere from the middle of a desert to the middle of the ocean. If you breakdown in the middle of nowhere, you won't care that the nearest cell tower is an 80 mile walk away.

NJMike :salute:

But, bring your iPod

Back