first post, looking to identify towing parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

first post, looking to identify towing parts

unexpected

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport SOHC V6
what did I inherit as part of this explorer sport from 2000? i'm looking to possibly tow a toyota matrix hatchback for some distance and figuring out if i need to get a tow package from scratch or does this meet some of the required parts

tried to ask the microsoft AI copilot and it wasn't very helpful yet

see attached photos

1705840021366.png

1705840042305.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. I would probably get a frame mounted tow hitch instead of using the bumper especially if you are going to be towing more.

Too heavy for a bumper mount, get a frame mounted hitch. IIRC, additionally the tow package included a transmission cooler and you'll want to lock out overdrive.

MAXIMUM bumper hitch towing weight is 3500 lbs. Toyota Matrix GVW?

Trailer Towing (Page 179+)

Square Tube Frame

Round Tube Frame
found the part about what I have it looks like:
Using a step bumperThe rear bumper is equipped with an integral hitch and requires only aball with a 19 mm (3/4 inch) shank diameter. The bumper has a 1 590 kg(3 500 lb.) trailer weight and 159 kg (350 lb.) tongue weight capability.Use a frame-mounted weight distributing hitch for trailers over 1 590 kg(3 500 lb).
too low rating for an 03:

2003 Toyota Matrix/Gross vehicle weight rating
3,847 to 3,935 lbs

MAXIMUM bumper hitch towing weight is 3500 lbs. Toyota Matrix GVW?

Trailer Towing (Page 179+)

Square Tube Frame

Round Tube Frame

And that rating is for a brand new bumper not one that has been rusting up in BC where the original poster is located. I wouldn't trust the rusted bumper hitch on my 98 that now lives in Chicagoland to tow anything.

I’m going to tell you something you aren’t going to want to hear.

If you’re going to tow a car, especially on a trailer, you are going to want to start saving for a transmission rebuild. The 5R just doesn’t last long pulling heavy loads.

I’d install an aftermarket trans cooler. A big one.

I can’t speak to the M5 if you have that gearbox.

I’m going to tell you something you aren’t going to want to hear.

If you’re going to tow a car, especially on a trailer, you are going to want to start saving for a transmission rebuild. The 5R just doesn’t last long pulling heavy loads.

I’d install an aftermarket trans cooler. A big one.

I can’t speak to the M5 if you have that gearbox.
the original "plan" was to DIY a tow trip to bring the matrix from Missouri to BC, Canada. so just scrap that for a 2000 explorer with "supposed" 140k miles?

Oh, my bad. I misread. I thought this was going to be a regular thing

Back