First Post- Overhead Display/ Thermometer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Post- Overhead Display/ Thermometer.

redexplorer331

Reaction score
City, State
Waterville Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey everyone this is my first post. I was wondering, My Explorer has an overhead unit that displays the temperature and it is always saying -40 then blinks and says ICE. Never seen or heard anything like this maybe someone has had a problem like this. Thank you for any help and replies you guys got. Keep on drivin guys :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, the temp sensor is most likely gone or maybe the connection/wire is damaged/shorting out...

so would it be the same temp sensor that shows me the temperature on my dash gauges? If so my temp gauge on that seems to be fine. Thanks guys

nope, this one is located buy your drivers side head light. if i had a picture, i would show you what it looks like

Open the hood and look in front of the radiator to the left of the driver's side headlight. It will be stuck to the upright.

Looks like this:

temp_sensor_mounted.jpg

Yea, yea old thread I know.. but...

Is it possible that the sensor could get caked with mud or dirt and cause inaccurate (high) readings? Mine was working great til I went to KSRocks for a day and played in some serious mud. Now it reads anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees high.

Yea, yea old thread I know.. but...

Is it possible that the sensor could get caked with mud or dirt and cause inaccurate (high) readings? Mine was working great til I went to KSRocks for a day and played in some serious mud. Now it reads anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees high.
In theory it seems possible that mud could create a resistive path that changes the resistance value sent to the overhead module, but in practice it seems like you should clean it off and see if that helps.

thats the first order of business... after I finish my move. Thursday is U-haul loading day, friday is house closing then starting the drive to arizona.

Good luck renting a Uhaul trailer (if that's what you're planning) if they know you're pulling it with an Explorer.

Already picked up a U-Haul (Brand New 26 ft F650!... with cruise control!) and a Car Carrier to put the Explorer on. (Funny, they'll let me put an Explorer ON one of their trailers, but not in front of one!)

Its got AC.. Automatic 6-speed transmission (even has an option that keeps the converter locked up for engine braking). And the Automatic is connected behind a V10

And I'm givin it back tomorrow. I'm done with it... well, except the unloading. LOL my wifes family is coming over tomorrow to help unload it. I am officially a resident of AZ now.

Back