flowmaster 40 or 30's series? cut cat off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flowmaster 40 or 30's series? cut cat off?

A91EBexplorer4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB Explorer 4x4
i hvae a 91 EB 4x4 and im going to run duals out the back and i was thinking of taking the Cat. off . im in a state with no ristrictions , so i dont have to pass an emisions test or anything. i then want to put the flow master and new pipe i was looking at either 40 or 30 series muffler single in dual out. im wondering will taking the cat off effect the engine and the computer sending info? should i not do this? it was just an idea, and if anyone has any knowledge on the 30's series it would be great! Thanks again.

Your profile says you live in Norfolk VA. Unless you have moved, you had better think twice about doing that. Also, I think removing a functioning cat is against federal law too.

You may want to check out Macprod.com
This is the website for Mac Products. They make all kinds of exhaust parts for Ford, Chevy, and many motorcycles. For some reason the website doesn't show much of what they make but maybe you can get their catalog. They make several exhaust components for Explorers/Navajos/Rangers, including headers, cat-back (muffler and tailpipe) systems, and an intermediate pipe that you may be interested in. It is meant to bolt right in between the flange on the y-pipe from the headers and the flange on the pipe to the muffler. The intermediate pipe is made out of larger diameter tubing than stock and is available as a straight through pipe or with a high-flow converter. I have used Mac headers and cat-back on my Mustang for a few years and the Mac cat-back made more power with over-the-axle tailpipes than the Flowmasters did with no tailpipes. Mac mufflers don't sound quite as deep as the Flowmasters. They are also quieter at idle and about the same under a load, but I had two-chamber flowmasters so I can't say much for how a three-chamber would sound except that it would be a little quieter. Good luck.

Charlie

------------------
Charlie May
1992 Navajo LX 4x4

Back