• Register Today It's free!

Fluid in front and rear diff

runderwo

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
How do I know what kind of fluid to put in the front and rear diff? Some books say ATF, others say 80W-90, etc. Seems like it's different based on what diff you have. I checked my VIN and I do not have the locking rear diff but I don't know how to tell on the front, nor how to resolve all the conflicting info.

80w90 if you don't have a limited slip in both.. I have never heard of atf in a diff.. Its 75w145 i think in the rear if you have a limited.. But its always gonna be 80w90 in the front.

Thanks for the reply. I could have gotten ATF confused in there because it's what was called for in the transfer case. I did end up filling them both with 80W90. The front diff was almost full, but the rear diff was more than a quart low from the fill plug. Do I need to address this? The pan is dry, but is there anywhere else it could be leaking oil that I should watch out for?

Check your axle seals and the pinon seal after you fill and take it for a run.. If you have fluid or wetness at either of those places afterwards, then you know what is the cause.. It could be that they wernt filled proplerly last time.

Back