• Register Today It's free!

Fluids Change Frequency

JPGator

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT V6 4.0
I have a 2008 Exlporer XLT V6 coming up on 44K miles. I'm thinking of having my transmission fluid flushed and/or changed at 50K for no other purpose than preventitive maintenance. I'm primarily a city/highway driver, no towing or off roading. Does anyone have their own experiences? Can I get away with it for a little longer? Should I also be considering coolant or rear diff fluid changes? Thanks for the advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's see Trans fluid on my "06 L 6cyl I try to do every 30,000, I just change at 43,000 a few days ago. Now I drain and fill, drive, drain and fill and drive. So my method is really not a complete flush but 90%. The fluid that was in there from 30,000 to 73,000 was blood red and still had that fresh sulfurous smell that trans fluid has when its fresh. The fluid was not burned. I just used Penns Oil yellow bottle. Last time I used valvoline semi syn high mileage but, I couldn't find it this time.

I wouldn't wait on the trans fluid if you are already at 44K trans flush at the dealer $150. New trans at the dealer $3000 to $4000

Every other year on the anti-freeze flush. I always have a shop do this as I am a mess with anti freeze.

Oil and filter every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, DIY. any 5w-30 Brand that you like (your V6 probably takes 5w-20), I have become partial to Mobil clean 5000, But store brands like Pep boys made by Penns Oil I'm told, Walmart made by Warner, are good and meet the specs for our motors so why waste money. While I'm on the subject any filter that is on sale unless you are climbing rocks in the Arizona desert. The lower priced brands like Fram and Puro Classic get a bad rap sometimes but, I have been using both in lots of vehicles for the last 40 yrs and have had not one oil filter related problem. One of the highest rated filters is the Walmart oil filter believe it or not.

Blinker fluid and High beam grease every 15,000 miles

Brake fluid flush every time you change your brakes rotors and pads.

Front and rear differential every 15,000 miles (If I remember correctly Ford released a bulletin that the front and rear take different weight oils, ask dealer to be sure, I always do synthetic here)

I think that's it. change your air filter every year, PCV valve every year.

Blinker fluid and High beam grease every 15,000 miles

LMAO!!!!

btw, I couldn't find any brake fluid recommendations for periodic changes in manual. At minimum it makes sense to change brake fluid when changing pads and rotors, although pads seem to last 60K plus miles or so.

btw, I couldn't find any brake fluid recommendations for periodic changes in manual. At minimum it makes sense to change brake fluid when changing pads and rotors, although pads seem to last 60K plus miles or so.

Well then maybe every 2 years (around 30,000) I use the synthetic stuff exceeds Dot 3 and 4. Valvoline, Castrol and Prestone make it compatible w conventional Brake Fluid.

There are 2 methods you can flush it if you are a decent shade tree mechanic by bleeding the calipers all the way around or you can do like I do get a turkey baster suck all the fluid out of the reservoir, fill with new brake fluid. Drive a few miles pressing the bake pedal a lot. Suck out the brake fluid fill and repeat drive. Repeat procedure 1 more time. you will get 90% of the old fluid out and replaced with new. I figure this way first time 50%, 2nd 25%, 3rd 12.5%, 4th 6.25%the more times you do it the less old fluid is extracted and the more new fluid is wasted.

This may sound unorthodox but have been doing it on all my vehicles for 4 decades and no problems.

I do it every year but, with the synthetic probably every other yr would suffice but at around $10 a qt it 's cheap enough and depending on the car you may use a quart more or less.

If you decide to bleed the brakes make sure you get all of the air out and read up on the proper procedure. I did a brake bleed once when I was a teenager and the brakes failed on the test drive. Fortunately, I was able to let the pick up roll into a corn field and stop it. But I did have to ask my older brother by 10 yrs to help me do it right.... that was embarrassing.

Back