• Register Today It's free!

Trans Fluid Change

bojans

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I have an 06 V8 Ex w/ the 6 spd auto. There is no dipstick for the trans thus no way to look at the fluid. The manual does not mention ever having to change the trans fluid but having done a good deal of towning and having 25,000 miles, the point where I always changed trans fluid before, I am wondering what I should do. Do I have it changed or just keep going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for protection I would suggest a remote filter. Perma cool makes one that you can put on a full flow spin filter. Even better you can install a Frantz Bypass filter for ultimate protection.

you can check the fluid with vehicle level and then pull the fill plug from under the pan. It should just dribble some, but will only give you visual inspection of color.

You can do a flush using the tranny lines at the cooler, with new mercon. It wouldnt hurt the system imo.

Most people like to stay away from getting a flush of the tranny. If you really want to take care of your transmission take it to a transmission shop you trust and ask for a service where they will drop the pan, change the filter and drain the torque converter. It's easier on your transmission and you know you get a good fluid change plus a new filter.

However at 25k miles a flush most likely won't hurt anything like trucku thinks...but I'd personally rather have a change then a flush and a new filter. It shouldn't cost much more then a flush either.

I am with you though, I'd like to have a dipstick so I can check the fluids condition.

I would suggest you flush it yourself. It's relatively easy and give you some experience in working on your truck yourself and you know what exactly was put in. I flushed my 02 with 65+k on it and it was not pretty. Dark brown fluid and no hint of red. I had truck since 45k miles and have towed nothing except my bikes...lol. Since my flush (didn't change filter in pan, but added remote filter) shifting has never been better. Since you tow then it would be good to change the pan filter, But I am not sure as to how much debris it actually catches. A spin on full flow will do a much better job and a bypass a paramount one.

Yeah no dipstick sucks...you have to raise truck go through gears then pull plug and see if any drains out. It has inverted stem inside which is at the correct fill level, so if its overfilled it will dribble out. I pretty much filled what was pumped out when I did flush. After a week my shifting got bad, so I changed remote filter and then added few quarts and all was good in shiftingville.

When I searched the manual for trans fluid change intervals, I believe it basically defaulted to 150K under normal driving conditions. For severe service or extreme duty I think the manual said 50K. Unless, of course, it had been overheated or submerged. If you have done a "good deal" of towing you would be in the severe service category. 25K might be a little early, but it couldn't hurt.

150k.....LOL thats so you have to take it in for repair when it dies.

Bought my 02 (no dipstick) with 45k miles on it. The lady that owned it before didn't do any towing.

I flushed my auto tranny recently with 68kmiles I believe (can't remember or find log) and it was super dark. It didn't have any weird or burnt smell to it, just lack of red. Would have flushed it sooner had I known better.
Now its red and pretty shifting like a dream. The remote filter is a great addition if your towing, to keep that oil nice and purty. What's a plus with the remote filter would be to change it at an established interval and you fill the new filter with fresh oil. So you changed a quart or so, plus your extra quart of oil to system in filter.

Thanks for the replies guys. Talked to both the Ford dealer and the local shop that I have do the basic stuff, I gave up doing my own oil changes once I found a shop I could trust. The dealer said no reason to worry about it "these new trans are so advanced it doesn't matter what condition the fluid is in" - he got mad at me when I asked for that in writting. My local shop is in agreement with trucku, he wants to do a little research first, but is going to drop the pan, flush the system, change the internal filter and add an aux filter w/ trans temp guage. I am curious to see how the fluid looks.

As a side note does any one know if there is a programmer out there that can block out 6th gear? When I am towing the trans will serach if I am in OD but if I drop into 4th I am running much higher rpm's that I need to. Being able to just use 5th would be great.

Your welcome :thumbsup: :salute:

Hey if you want top notch oil recommendations join bobistheoilguy.com. those guys/gals talk about extended oil changes, filters, oil qualities and oil analysis. You will learn a lot. For instance I am leaving a group III Oil (mobil1 $5.50qt) and going to another very good group III Penzoil Platinium ($3.80qt). Mobile one still charges PAO prices for group III.

A remote filter would will help definetly and the temp probe will keep a good eye on things. If budget is not an issues you can buy a Frantz Bypass filter for the transmission (made for engine and fuel too) and get the best in filtration IMO ( and many bobistheoilguy.com members). You may already know this, but is uses A roll of Scotts toilet paper as the element. You change it out every so often depending on your towing.

Good to hear you on the right track now early instead of late. Now you have time to make un-rushed decisions. :thumbsup:

As a side note does any one know if there is a programmer out there that can block out 6th gear? When I am towing the trans will serach if I am in OD but if I drop into 4th I am running much higher rpm's that I need to. Being able to just use 5th would be great.

On the 5-spd you just push the O/D button and it will stay in 4th. Doesn't the 6-spd have something similar?

Some shops use cheap fluid which isn't the correct one when doing a flush. Make sure you only get the correct fluid in there. Using the wrong fluid could cause shudder, and slippage. Here is a fluid application chart: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1348273&postcount=10. Here is an ATF color diagnostic chart:
trannyfluid.jpg

Here is an article about what an independent shop owner says about fluid flushes: http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/fluid-flush-fallacy/20060505115609990001

On the 5-spd you just push the O/D button and it will stay in 4th. Doesn't the 6-spd have something similar?

The 6 speed O/D off button actually locks out 5th & 6th.. It doens't make much sense to me either.

The 6 speed O/D off button actually locks out 5th & 6th.. It doens't make much sense to me either.

Ah, I see. Well that explains the problem. Yeah, doesn't really make sense.

Good article. At 120K, I asked my Ford dealer about a brake fluid flush on my 98 XLT. I was leery of turning the bleeders for obvious reasons. Both guys behind the counter looked at me like I was from Mars. I quickly said "never mind".

You would be surprised how much going to a dealer is like going to Wendys.
Unqualified people giving you the wrong thing and causing more problems.

Back