Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

After some exploration, I’ve figured out how to modify the foglamp circuit for a 2001 Explorer so that the foglamps stay on with the high beams. This mod is actually much easier, IMHO, than for the earlier models.

First, I located the relay box. It’s mounted to the same plate that holds the bottom of the airbox. I got into it, and here’s what I found:

1. There are sockets for a total of six relays, two large (the size of a conventional Bosch relay) and four smaller relays, in a 1 2 1 2 configuration. The six sockets were arranged like this, with socket 1 being toward the front of the vehicle:

2 3
5 6

On my Explorer, socket 1 was empty from the factory.

2. The small type relays in sockets 2 and 3 control the foglamps. Why two relays? One to turn on the foglamps when the parking lamps go on, the second to turn off the foglamps when the high beams come on.

3. By checking the wiring on the back of the relay sockets, I came to the conclusion that relay 2 as shown above turned off the foglamps. Why? It was wired so that power flowed when the relay was _NOT_ energized.

4. The small relays, Ford part number F57B-14B192-AA, SPST relays. There are 5 pins on the relay, laid out as follows:

| | |
| | |
2 4 1

Pins 3 and 5 are .25" wide; pins 1, 2, and 4 are smaller, about .187".

The corresponding sockets are not numbered at all that I can detect.

5. Relay 2 is wired so that power flows from pin 3 to pin 4 when the relay is not energized. Only when the relay is energized is the power cut off. Power goes from pin 4 of relay 2 to the control circuit side, pin 1, of relay 3. In other words, run a jumper from the furthest away wide socket to the center narrow socket of relay 2, and the foglamps don't go off when the high beams come on.

6. To make the foglamps stay on when the high beams come on, I removed relay 2 and ran a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 4. Just as simple as that.

7. I made a jumper from 16 ga. wire with a male spade connector on each end. For the wide connector I used 3M from Wal-Mart. For the narrow connector I used Radio Shack #64-3134. I didn't measure, but the assembled length of the whole thing was about 2" to 2.25". Jumpered pin 3 to pin 4 and it works like a charm.

The whole procedure took about 20 minutes to actually do, but would have been 5 minutes or so shorter, less the following: When wrestling with the airbox, (a) It came loose suddenly, (b) My head banged into the hood, (c) The drop light fell, breaking the bulb, and (d) I had to find a new bulb for the drop light.

This worked on my 2001. I suspect it will work on any 1999 to 2001 Explorer where the foglamps already come on with the parking lights, and it may be useful for the 2002s and later.

BTW, the wiring to the fog lamps is badly undersized and the pins on the bulbs are badly undersized also. My bulbs are the, I think, 9145s, that have an H-1 bulb grafted onto an adapter. No way I'm going to go over wattage with this dinky wiring.

--
FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann mailto:edlmann@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to identify the parking light wire that activates the relay to turn on the fogs. Once you know which wire it is cut it and connect it to a switched wire like the windshield wipers or someone has mentioned the w/s washer wire is close by.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

does any1 know which wire this is on a 2000 XLT?

Could someone explain to me again what connector I need for the wide one. I am not very experienced with the electrical side of things. I was hoping to get some type of part number or something similar to the other side as I don't know what a 3m connector is. Thanks in advance. This mod will be very well appreciated.

So, for the "Technically Challenged - ME" the jumper replaces the relay ?

aldive said:
.... and after the cut....

I went down to the garage and pulled the box open.
On my 1999 Eddie Bauer Explorer position 1 has a relay
and position 4 is empty.

I pulled relay number 2 out and clipped one of the 3 pins.

WA LA... Driving Lights with High Beams.

Many thanks to everyone, for all the detailed pictures,
questions and comments.

73 de N2JBO

P.S. I wish everything was this easy.

This totaly cool mod only took about 120 seconds to complete. The smile on my face will last a life time. The good things in life are free. Thanks for posting this. :D

old subject i know but just went outside popped the cover off removed the relay
( BTW all were full none empty ). removed the relay from slot #2 clipped the one plug off replaced it and checked and BANG fog lights when in parking / LOW beams / and HIGH beams. EXCELLENT JOB on the posts and pics they say it all, made this take me a whole 2 minutes and that was only because the relay wasn't co-operating coming out. like i said EXCELLENT EASY MOD. :D

Glad to read your testimonial & hear your cool & happy.
That is a good mod for us who like lights.
Elite status....mady????

There is no need to make a jumper.

I went out to do this mod but there is no relay for the fog lamp isolation. I looked inside the socket and there are no terminials just empty holes. I had the jumper already made and ready to do this but now I am at a loss. My fog lights still turn off with the high beams but earlier in this thread they said that the isolation relay does this. any ideas?

Where are you looking for the relay?

NICE. thanks for the info. your post got me to the problem from my foggies that shorted out from the dang relay corroding.

thanks again.

John

Perhaps someone before you pulled it out???
Look at the pics at the beginning of this thread and put the jumper in the slots as shown and see what happens. I know this is not the best info but without pics of what you have in the relay box its my best guess.

Thanks guys,
That was the easiest 3 minutes I've ever spent on my car. I just pulled the relay and put a pre-fab jumper across to make sure it'd work, then i pulled the two outside mini terminals off of the relay and sure enough, works like a champ.

I went out to do this mod but there is no relay for the fog lamp isolation. I looked inside the socket and there are no terminials just empty holes. I had the jumper already made and ready to do this but now I am at a loss. My fog lights still turn off with the high beams but earlier in this thread they said that the isolation relay does this. any ideas?

This mod is for '99 to '01 (and maybe later) model years. If your profile is correct, you have a '98 and need a different mod. It's here in the archives somewhere.

I know this thread is over 4 years old now so I thought I'd bump it with my own experience. I drive a '99 as well. Ultimately I followed Al's method but I read and re-read the thread numerous times so I got it. I then isolated the relays controlling the fogs, then the one I needed to modify. The actual mod took about a minute. I didn't even bother removing my air intake. Was pretty easy to get at the relays without doing so. A 5 second cut with a Dremel and cutting wheel and voila! I've got fogs with or without highbeams. This mod wasn't of interest to me when I had a low beam only HID kit, but I just switched over to a bi-xenon kit. For the first time in over a year, my high beams count for something again.

Very simple mod. Well done boys. :thumbsup:

Yet another reason why this site is a superb resource and well worth the price of eliteness.

I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow afternoon once I get home. I went out earlier tonight to take a look, found the box but couldn't get the damn cover off. Decided to just wait until there's enough light to actually mess around with it. Hopefully once I pop off the cover on the relay box it'll be cake. We'll see what happens :)

Back