Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

After some exploration, I’ve figured out how to modify the foglamp circuit for a 2001 Explorer so that the foglamps stay on with the high beams. This mod is actually much easier, IMHO, than for the earlier models.

First, I located the relay box. It’s mounted to the same plate that holds the bottom of the airbox. I got into it, and here’s what I found:

1. There are sockets for a total of six relays, two large (the size of a conventional Bosch relay) and four smaller relays, in a 1 2 1 2 configuration. The six sockets were arranged like this, with socket 1 being toward the front of the vehicle:

2 3
5 6

On my Explorer, socket 1 was empty from the factory.

2. The small type relays in sockets 2 and 3 control the foglamps. Why two relays? One to turn on the foglamps when the parking lamps go on, the second to turn off the foglamps when the high beams come on.

3. By checking the wiring on the back of the relay sockets, I came to the conclusion that relay 2 as shown above turned off the foglamps. Why? It was wired so that power flowed when the relay was _NOT_ energized.

4. The small relays, Ford part number F57B-14B192-AA, SPST relays. There are 5 pins on the relay, laid out as follows:

| | |
| | |
2 4 1

Pins 3 and 5 are .25" wide; pins 1, 2, and 4 are smaller, about .187".

The corresponding sockets are not numbered at all that I can detect.

5. Relay 2 is wired so that power flows from pin 3 to pin 4 when the relay is not energized. Only when the relay is energized is the power cut off. Power goes from pin 4 of relay 2 to the control circuit side, pin 1, of relay 3. In other words, run a jumper from the furthest away wide socket to the center narrow socket of relay 2, and the foglamps don't go off when the high beams come on.

6. To make the foglamps stay on when the high beams come on, I removed relay 2 and ran a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 4. Just as simple as that.

7. I made a jumper from 16 ga. wire with a male spade connector on each end. For the wide connector I used 3M from Wal-Mart. For the narrow connector I used Radio Shack #64-3134. I didn't measure, but the assembled length of the whole thing was about 2" to 2.25". Jumpered pin 3 to pin 4 and it works like a charm.

The whole procedure took about 20 minutes to actually do, but would have been 5 minutes or so shorter, less the following: When wrestling with the airbox, (a) It came loose suddenly, (b) My head banged into the hood, (c) The drop light fell, breaking the bulb, and (d) I had to find a new bulb for the drop light.

This worked on my 2001. I suspect it will work on any 1999 to 2001 Explorer where the foglamps already come on with the parking lights, and it may be useful for the 2002s and later.

BTW, the wiring to the fog lamps is badly undersized and the pins on the bulbs are badly undersized also. My bulbs are the, I think, 9145s, that have an H-1 bulb grafted onto an adapter. No way I'm going to go over wattage with this dinky wiring.

--
FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann mailto:edlmann@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've been wondering how to do this for a while, i'll give it a shot on my '00 Sport SOHC in the next day or two. the fogs on my truck make a huge difference so i'd like to have them on with my hi-beams. someone in the thread noted that this mod also made the fogs work with parking lamps only. has anyone else with a 2000 found this to be the case? because my fogs only work with the lo-beams on. they dont come on with parking lamps only, or with hi-beams on.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

someone in the thread noted that this mod also made the fogs work with parking lamps only. has anyone else with a 2000 found this to be the case? because my fogs only work with the lo-beams on. they dont come on with parking lamps only, or with hi-beams on.

I have a '99. I don't think much changed to '00. I did the mod by cutting a spade on the relay and works as advertised. Fogs work with parking lights only (drove away that way all day today), low and high beams. :thumbsup:

I have a '99. I don't think much changed to '00. I did the mod by cutting a spade on the relay and works as advertised. Fogs work with parking lights only (drove away that way all day today), low and high beams. :thumbsup:

thanks, i'll give it a shot and post my results!

thanks, i'll give it a shot and post my results!

aight, looked at my truck today, i DO have the "Foglamp Relay", but i got no "Foglamp Isolation Relay" in the slot next to the "Foglamp Relay"
yes, i'm looking in the right place
yes, i know exactly what i'm looking for
and just like a few other guys in this thread, my truck just doesnt have one.

my owners manual, however, says that mini-fuse #8 in the Passenger compartment fuse panel is for "Right Headlamp, Foglamp Relay" I assume this means my Fog Lamp Relay is hardwired straight to the right headlamp circuit without the use of a "Foglamp Isolation Relay." and that's why my fogs only come on with low beams. IF that is the case, could i get behind that fuse panel and move my "Foglamp Relay" wire over from Fuse 8 ("Right Headlamp") and put it on Fuse 33 ("Headlamps, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module, Instrument Cluster") to make the foglamps work when i have only running lamps on?

What I would do is have a helper turn on the fogs and then put on the high beams while you are under the hood and can see/hear/feel which relay is activated by what . This will zero in on the relay you need to mod.
Much better/easier than messing w/fuse panel.

What I would do is have a helper turn on the fogs and then put on the high beams while you are under the hood and can see/hear/feel which relay is activated by what . This will zero in on the relay you need to mod.
Much better/easier than messing w/fuse panel.

i know what relay i need to mod, it's the foglamp isolation relay, but my truck doesnt have that relay. and my manual says that the foglamp relay itself is connected to the same fuse as the right headlamp, that's why i was wondering if i could do it from the fuse panel since i dont have a foglamp isolation relay.

ALSO on a side note, does anyone here know where exactly the Dashboard Foglamp Switch is located in the Foglamp circuit?

Good Morning,

I recognizze that this is an old post... But I am currently trying to make the modifications to the relay as you describe. Your photos are no longer available using the links you previously provided. Would you mind posting them again?

This issue of not being able to use the fog lights with the high beams on has been bothering me for weeks. You have a nice and easy to implement solution but I want make sure I'm snipping the correct comnectors. Thank you for you help... hope you don't mind posting these again... I really appreciate your assistance.

Pics are probably long gone. I could not find any.

Tried the Mod today. 2000 Explorer (Late Build).
Cut the #2 pin off Isolation Relay in the Auxiliary Relay Box #1.
WoW, Fog Lites with High Beams.
Thanks.

Pin Loaction on Lamp Relay

Hey Rick... Do you mind if I ask a few dumb questions? I too have the same make/year Ford.

1) Is the relay the top (farthest from me) or the bottom relay (nearest) in the fuze/relay box as I'm standing in front of the vehicle with the cover removed?

2) When I pull the relay out (straight up) and then turn it over clockwise, which pin is the #2 pin that needs to be cut?

Sorry for the questions. There was, at one time, photos attached to this thread that we very helpful but they've expired... THANK YOU in advance for your time.

Tried the Mod today. 2000 Explorer (Late Build).
Cut the #2 pin off Isolation Relay in the Auxiliary Relay Box #1.
WoW, Fog Lites with High Beams.
Thanks.

99 XLT - Quick easy mod.

I did this last night to my 99 XLT. It took less then 5 min and I love the results. Fog lights plus high beams really lights up the road.

This thread has grown very long, but for anyone with a 99, looking to do the very simple "cut off one tab" version, the best pics and posts are in responses, 28, 30, 31, 35, & 36. (all of which can be found on the 2nd page of the thread)

workb4play
No fuses in this box
Look at aldive's post #30 page 2. Picture of auxiliary relay box #1...it is the same as mine.
Auxiliary Box #1 is on the Right side under air intake area,under Upper radiator hose.
If there is no Relay in the Isolation relay spot then you have a early build and I do not know if this mod will work.
Early build 2000 explorers did not have a isolation fog relay.
Don't start cutting pin off relays unless you have spares.

in my 2001 sport trac the fog light isolation relay is the the main fuse/ relay box behind the battery near the firewall. it is relay 49A. Just pull the relay and jump pins 3 and 4, the same as explorer. I just used male spade connectors I had and cut one down to fit in the smaller slot on pin 4.

Mine does not have the Isolation relay either. The build date on my X was 9/99 so hopefully I or someone can figure out how to get this mod to work on the early 2000 Explorers.

did this mod today on my 01 sport. worked great

I have a 1997 Mounty. I'd like to activate the fogs with the parking lights moreso than use them in conjunction with the high beams which is illegal to do in my state. I live near the ocean and the low lying fog combined with the whiteout snow we get in winter, I would personally find it useful to use fogs with the parking lights without the headlight (low beam) and associated glare in fog/snow. Does anyone know how to create a jump of sorts to have the fogs work with the parking lights only? They only work on mine with the low beams on currently. TYIA.

can anyone help me out i have a 2000 explorer sport i took pictures of the relay boxes so you can get a look at what i have and if you can tell me what i could do to make my fog lights work with the hi-beams and running lights.

here is the relay by the air box

get-attachmentaspx1.jpg

and the relay/fuse box by the battery

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

First picture of the relays near air box is the Auxiliary Relay Box #1.
The small empty slot is where the isolation relay should be located.
If your fog lamps work now in normal operation with this slot empty,
them your Explorer is an early build and this mod will not work.
Sorry I don't have better new.

ok yeah it was an early 2000 ex (9.1999) does anyone know if there is a wire that i can cut and hook up to say the driving lights to power them this way?

got an idea!

ok so this is my idea. since there is no really easy way to do this mod that i am aware of on my 2000 sport i was thinking one day and came up with this. if i take apart the steering wheel and take off the blinker/hi-lo switch and find the wires that control the hi beam and the flash to pass and switch them around so it seems like the mod and then i would have hi beams with my fog lights. if anyone has done this i would like to hear how it went and how practice it is to do/use as a substitute to the actual mod.

Back