• Register Today It's free!

fog lamps

cbx1047

Reaction score
City, State
waikesha, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 limited
I would like to get more lite from my 2011 fog lamps, has anyone just changed the bulbs with any noticeable improvement in light output? (silver star zxe) And how do you even get to the bulbs for replacement, there is nothing in the owners manual on how to change bulbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have zxe in my headlights and they are slight improvement, definately whiter.

I'm with you. The 'fog' lights on the '12 Explorer are useless. First of all, they're recessed so deeply within the bezel that they offer no peripheral lighting whatsoever. Beyond that, they are either so underpowered or aimed so low that I can see no additional lighting beyond 10-15 feet in front.

Their inclusion seems nothing more than some silly fashion statement. Which makes them simply annoying.

But, on a more constructive note; Has anyone looked at the design with a notion of, perhaps, mounting the lights more flush with the bezel so that the lamp cover is even with the surround (bumper cover)?

I'm no engineer and have no fabrication experience. But, it seems, this might be a popular modification if someone were to come up with a remedy.

Cheers.

Bulb model #?

so which bulb (model #) I must to buy for my fog lamps and how to install?

I replaced mine with Yellow 50W bulbs which works best in the rain/fog. You get less reflection from the fog or rain with yellow bulbs. You can get them in 50 and 100 watt bulbs.

However I would not recommend the 100 due to heat generate and its effect on the plastic, bulb connection and glass. Have seen on other driving lights that when the glass got hot enough and cold water hits the glass it would crack or break.

i would do away with the stock ones and get aftermarkets. if ur already complaining about ur stock foglights then get better ones.also, if u want to "customize" them so they stick out farther in the bezel then thats already a lot more work getting them lined up even and aimed right and who knows what kinda of fabricating it would take to make them stick out just one inch or so. ud be better off getting nice new ones that r gonna get the job done. i dont care much for the 2000+ exploders tho. i really dont get y u would buy a 2011 just to modify stock components. not tryin to sound like a dick, its been a bad day already

The problem with the fog lamps is that they are aimed too low at the factory. The light output is on the road right in front of the bumper. The fog lamps aiming is adjustable very easily. The adjustment is on the side of the lamp plug in socket. It is a thumbwheel that is easily adjusted with your hand. It is easy to see with a flashlight shined at the passenger side fog lamp housing under the car. The driverside adjustment is hidden from view but is in the same location. When you adjust the lamps upward your problems will be over. Good wide beam pattern and plenty of light on the road where you want it. I replaced my fog lamps with H11 silverstar ultras and this made a noticable improvement also to the light output.

The problem with the fog lamps is that they are aimed too low at the factory. The light output is on the road right in front of the bumper. The fog lamps aiming is adjustable very easily. The adjustment is on the side of the lamp plug in socket. It is a thumbwheel that is easily adjusted with your hand. It is easy to see with a flashlight shined at the passenger side fog lamp housing under the car. The driverside adjustment is hidden from view but is in the same location. When you adjust the lamps upward your problems will be over. Good wide beam pattern and plenty of light on the road where you want it. I replaced my fog lamps with H11 silverstar ultras and this made a noticable improvement also to the light output.

Thanks for the aiming tip :thumbsup:

I was wondering about this b/c I can't see but a few feet in front of my car with them and they seemed almost useless, even after I put some Piaa bulbs in.

I Just replaced my stock bulbs with H11 Vision X, 80 Watt Xenon Premium White bulbs and they are much brighter than the stocks. They are not quite as bright as the headlights (HID) but they look much closer in color now than they did before.

I Just replaced my stock bulbs with H11 Vision X, 80 Watt Xenon Premium White bulbs and they are much brighter than the stocks. They are not quite as bright as the headlights (HID) but they look much closer in color now than they did before.

Could you be more specific about the bulbs you bought please? Searching for just Amazon Search for H11 Vision X

...brings up 55W, 80W, different model...I'd love to upgrade mine...if you can tell me exactly which one that would really help.

Phil

Phil,
I did a search online too and couldn't find the exact ones I bought. I got mine from National 4x4, which is a Canadian Company that carries everything to mod you off-road truck etc. Saw them as I walked in to pick up my rims. Grabbed them off the shelf for $30.
I'm sure if you keep searching online for H11 Fog light bulbs you will find something very similar. Like I said, mine are 80 Watts. The bulbs look blue, but the light is bright white, no bluish hue to it.

Back