Fog light fixture installation 2017 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog light fixture installation 2017 PIU

Dennis J.A.A.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orfordville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Interceptor
I have to remove the front end to be able to install the fog light housing on each side. I got this far on both sides; all the 5.5mm, the one plastic screw, the two Phillips head screws and from under the front there are (3) 8mm on those corner pieces.
BUT several videos that I have watched they talk about 2 10mm coming from the top somewhere.
Anyone have an idea where or how I can get my big paws up in there? I REALLY need some details - PLEASE!
BTW I am removing the front before these fixtures come in because I need to cut away the plastic so that they just pop right in. I would rather use the Dremel tool slowly and neatly than pay for these with the cut outs at $82.44 each
When I moved the (3) 8mm bolts on the driver's side and moved the cover a bit I did see the speaker! Yeah! One less thing I have to buy!
1644377002061.png
1644377021159.png

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1071.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only 10mm screws I remember when removing the bumper cover are located below the headlight inside the fender well. I thought there was 3 though.

41135A5F-D35D-4DD5-9D35-3A70631F04B3.jpeg

The only 10mm screws I remember when removing the bumper cover are located below the headlight inside the fender well. I thought there was 3 though.

View attachment 426248
So that whole plastic piece has to come off that has the 5.5mm bolts? Then how does that inside piece come off?
I did see those nuts but couldn't figure out how to get these big paws inside there.

So that whole plastic piece has to come off that has the 5.5mm bolts? Then how does that inside piece come off?
I did see those nuts but couldn't figure out how to get these big paws inside there.
If your talking about that fender piece that looks like a half circle, that you just remove half way. You just pull it till the clips let loose. Then you have the 3 8mm at the bottom corners, 7 (I believe) 10mm on top, the 3 inner by the headlight, one electrical connector on the driver side, and I think some across the bottom middle. Then you pull the bumper cover to release the locks under the headlight.

As for the fender liner, you can leave that. You just have to bend it out of the way to get to those 3 inner 10mm. I think once you remove the outer fender piece, there is 2 of those plastics Phillips screws you can remove to help make it easier to bend.

As for the 3 10mm by the headlight, I use my mini 1/4 ratchet with swallow 10mm socket. They have thread locker so it’s slow going.

I hope that helps. It’s been awhile since I did a 16-19 Explorer. I mainly do 2020+.

If your talking about that fender piece that looks like a half circle, that you just remove half way. You just pull it till the clips let loose. Then you have the 3 8mm at the bottom corners, 7 (I believe) 10mm on top, the 3 inner by the headlight, one electrical connector on the driver side, and I think some across the bottom middle. Then you pull the bumper cover to release the locks under the headlight.

As for the fender liner, you can leave that. You just have to bend it out of the way to get to those 3 inner 10mm. I think once you remove the outer fender piece, there is 2 of those plastics Phillips screws you can remove to help make it easier to bend.

As for the 3 10mm by the headlight, I use my mini 1/4 ratchet with swallow 10mm socket. They have thread locker so it’s slow going.

I hope that helps. It’s been awhile since I did a 16-19 Explorer. I mainly do 2020+.
Thanks! The next day that I get time and the temp is good I will finish taking that off - I hope - without breaking anything!

When I pulled the front bumper to put on the push bar, I found it much, much easier to get at the three bolts that go down from the fender into the bumper....by removing many of the push clips so that the fender liner was more out of the way. If the push clips are a hassle, I've found spewing a sheetrock screw into the center and pulling was a help. I also bought a couple boxes of new clips to put news ones in.

I do have foglights on my list....but plan on buying the black inserts too, to ensure the lamps are properly secured. I don't know that simply cutting the existing black bezel will allow light attachment.

When I pulled the front bumper to put on the push bar, I found it much, much easier to get at the three bolts that go down from the fender into the bumper....by removing many of the push clips so that the fender liner was more out of the way. If the push clips are a hassle, I've found spewing a sheetrock screw into the center and pulling was a help. I also bought a couple boxes of new clips to put news ones in.

I do have foglights on my list....but plan on buying the black inserts too, to ensure the lamps are properly secured. I don't know that simply cutting the existing black bezel will allow light attachment.
I was at a Ford dealership and there wasn't ANY difference between the blank, that you and I have now, and the other one except for the one part being removed. Go to any Ford dealership and ask to see one of each.

I was at a Ford dealership and there wasn't ANY difference between the blank, that you and I have now, and the other one except for the one part being removed. Go to any Ford dealership and ask to see one of each.
Interesting. Did you buy actual Ford lamps, aftermarket etc?

I thought I did but then found out they are coming from China

Unless ordering from Amazon or eBay, where parts may be manufactured who knows where, I don't know why more people don't order from AutoNation Ford or Levittown Ford which offers a 10% discount to forum members. RockAuto and other such retailers may also have comparable prices on genuine Ford Parts. I believe AutoNation's prices are invoice + 10%.

Peter

Unless ordering from Amazon or eBay, where parts may be manufactured who knows where, I don't know why more people don't order from AutoNation Ford or Levittown Ford which offers a 10% discount to forum members. RockAuto and other such retailers may also have comparable prices on genuine Ford Parts. I believe AutoNation's prices are invoice + 10%.

Peter
Dang I never knew this BUT in my defense I ordered the fixtures the day the PIU came home.

I buy as much as possible from a dealer who is a client of mine.

An easy way to tell on eBay for example, (I buy nothing from Amazon) is that parts listed as "OEM" are Ford. Parts listed as "fits Ford Explorer" are aftermarket. And of course, the price. I think you can get the aftermarket foglight for just a little more than one from Ford.

There's also anew this called CAPA, where aftermarket body parts, lamps, etc are tested/reviewed for fit, quality, etc. My body shop friends tell me that in their experience the CAPA approved parts are good replacements.

I buy as much as possible from a dealer who is a client of mine.

An easy way to tell on eBay for example, (I buy nothing from Amazon) is that parts listed as "OEM" are Ford. Parts listed as "fits Ford Explorer" are aftermarket. And of course, the price. I think you can get the aftermarket foglight for just a little more than one from Ford.

There's also anew this called CAPA, where aftermarket body parts, lamps, etc are tested/reviewed for fit, quality, etc. My body shop friends tell me that in their experience the CAPA approved parts are good replacements.
Thank you. I guess that this has been the lesson for the day. I DO appreciate the help!

Turns out it was a purchase from frickin China. Never said that on E-Bay so still waiting on them!

Didn’t have to, I had the bezel’s, just had a set to convert a non park light bumper over to, I don’t believe the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. My time is more valuable than the amount of time it will take to whittle that out X2, and, I don’t believe they will snap in when done.
I haven't yet started this project for mine...the foglight "snap" into those bezels?

They won’t attach, the bezels are required.
Are you talking about the glass fixture? This I already have ordered.
Didn’t have to, I had the bezel’s, just had a set to convert a non park light bumper over to, I don’t believe the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. My time is more valuable than the amount of time it will take to whittle that out X2, and, I don’t believe they will snap in when done.
Oh Hell! That is all I have is time! Been retired since 1990

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't yet started this project for mine...the foglight "snap" into those bezels?
That is what the counter guy told me but they also have a place to screw into.
I'll figure this all out when the front comes off

Back