Fog light fixture installation 2017 PIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog light fixture installation 2017 PIU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is what the counter guy told me but they also have a place to screw into.
I'll figure this all out when the front comes off
I read elsewhere in the past couple days from someone who installed foglights...that only the fender liners need to come out...the bumper stays on. Just a heads up../

I read elsewhere in the past couple days from someone who installed foglights...that only the fender liners need to come out...the bumper stays on. Just a heads up../
Yeah but I have more to do then just the fog lights.
They have red & blue in the grill work and I have to find the wiring for that along with the fog light wiring.
I read somewhere that I might have to get a different switch that operates the fog lights on the main light panel.
It doesn't matter one way or another as I can figure out how to make things work with relays and a switch but I will look behind the main switch to see if there is any connectors hidden up there before buying the switch that has that fog light option.
Whew! I sure hope you understood that! I had to read it twice myself! LOL

Yeah but I have more to do then just the fog lights.
They have red & blue in the grill work and I have to find the wiring for that along with the fog light wiring.
I read somewhere that I might have to get a different switch that operates the fog lights on the main light panel.
It doesn't matter one way or another as I can figure out how to make things work with relays and a switch but I will look behind the main switch to see if there is any connectors hidden up there before buying the switch that has that fog light option.
Whew! I sure hope you understood that! I had to read it twice myself! LOL
In my research to add foglights, I spoke to a tech. He suggested (well more than suggested) to NOT tap into the headlight switch or almost anything under the dash in the factory harness. He had all kinds of reasons...I will be running my own wiring. Perhaps, tap into one of the head or parking lights to cause them to dip for the high beams.

Speaking for my '16, there was no factory foglight wiring out front when I pulled the bumper to add the push bar...

In my research to add foglights, I spoke to a tech. He suggested (well more than suggested) to NOT tap into the headlight switch or almost anything under the dash in the factory harness. He had all kinds of reasons...I will be running my own wiring. Perhaps, tap into one of the head or parking lights to cause them to dip for the high beams.

Speaking for my '16, there was no factory foglight wiring out front when I pulled the bumper to add the push bar...
You can put a NC (normally closed) relay on the line to the hot side of the high beam.
When the high beam is turned on it will activate the relay and open the circuit going to the fog lights and turn the fog lights OFF.

You can put a NC (normally closed) relay on the line to the hot side of the high beam.
When the high beam is turned on it will activate the relay and open the circuit going to the fog lights and turn the fog lights OFF.
Yes, correct. I also plan to put a switch in the dash (using the lower dash panel part I pulled at the yard) as well have them come on with the lights.

Yes, correct. I also plan to put a switch in the dash (using the lower dash panel part I pulled at the yard) as well have them come on with the lights.
Excellent!
You can pick up the relay on E-Bay or Google NC relay

I chickened out and brought the PIU to a local mechanic who put the PIU on a hoist and removed the tires and a few extra things to get at the 10mm nuts to remove the front fender. At least he had all the right tools to get the entire thing done in 30 minutes.
Now I have the front fender in the basement and I removed the red & blue grill lights.
Excellent! I look up the lights on the Internet and these lights are $89.00 EACH.
I already purchased 6 IONA - 4 for the Setina and 2 for the window lights for the same price. This is getting to be quite an expensive project.
NOW I get to the point of removing the fog light bezel. I sure wish they had a website on how things come apart. It looks like there are at least 10 tabs that have to be bent to remove the plastic blank bezel.
I tried just putting a Popsicle stick between the bezel and the holding tab and it still didn't budge.
Has anyone attempted this job yet?
Thank God this is my money and NOT the better half's money or TSWHTF! LOL

I chickened out and brought the PIU to a local mechanic who put the PIU on a hoist and removed the tires and a few extra things to get at the 10mm nuts to remove the front fender. At least he had all the right tools to get the entire thing done in 30 minutes.
Now I have the front fender in the basement and I removed the red & blue grill lights.
Excellent! I look up the lights on the Internet and these lights are $89.00 EACH.
I already purchased 6 IONA - 4 for the Setina and 2 for the window lights for the same price. This is getting to be quite an expensive project.
NOW I get to the point of removing the fog light bezel. I sure wish they had a website on how things come apart. It looks like there are at least 10 tabs that have to be bent to remove the plastic blank bezel.
I tried just putting a Popsicle stick between the bezel and the holding tab and it still didn't budge.
Has anyone attempted this job yet?
Thank God this is my money and NOT the better half's money or TSWHTF! LOL
I pulled the bezels off my SHO...and those tabs with (what I call) a door stop at each end are a issue. A set of plastic pry tools help. I slid the pry tool or a screw driver over the tab to make a "ramp", which made the tabs easier to remove. Some lube may help too.

I pulled the bezels off my SHO...and those tabs with (what I call) a door stop at each end are a issue. A set of plastic pry tools help. I slid the pry tool or a screw driver over the tab to make a "ramp", which made the tabs easier to remove. Some lube may help too.
I guess I will have to get a bunch of Popsicle sticks on each of those tabs then! Great engineering! NOT
If this doesn't work out then I'll just use the Dremel tool while it is still attached to the plastic front end.
Thanks!

Still at it! Slow but persistent!
OK! First - if you ever have to take anything like this off there are little rubber like tabs and they are against hard plastic.
I was told that you need to slide something between these two in order to get the piece loose and finally off.
WRONG
With your thumb gently but firmly push the hard plastic towards the rubber like plastic and then gently push in a downward motion.
In a case like this you need to start on the right hand side (look at the picture) so that you can you can get leverage and work on the outside first.
Then you really have to be careful but the same principle applies to the center section. In this section you are removing the part of the bumper itself that looks like a tongue across the center of the light fixture.
So... The next fun job will be using the Dremmel tool to cut out the part not needed and wash this whole thing down.
Still waiting on that slow boat from China for the light fixtures! Grrrr!

IMG_1087.JPG

I was just reading that also. When I took the front bumper off I saw the plugs for the foglight so I'm good to go there. However, I did order the correct switch and will probably put the other one up on E-Bay for 1/2 price. Better than keeping it in the garage doing nothing I guess.

I was just reading that also. When I took the front bumper off I saw the plugs for the foglight so I'm good to go there. However, I did order the correct switch and will probably put the other one up on E-Bay for 1/2 price. Better than keeping it in the garage doing nothing I guess.
I suppose I was the one that "lied" about sliding something between the two. My assumption was that it was similar to the clips on my SHO. Good luck...I'm out...

I suppose I was the one that "lied" about sliding something between the two. My assumption was that it was similar to the clips on my SHO. Good luck...I'm out...
Actually, it was on a FB post! Sorry if you felt that way. I don't TRY to insult people.

Back