• Register Today It's free!

Fog light replacement

Markek

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
2001 Sport Trac and I have a broken fog light lens. Looks like its glass.

Should I replace it with another glass one? Should I go plastic?

If I go plastic will it look different than my other side glass one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A friend just went through this but I don't recall his solution. He's running Silverstars in his too. Hopefully he'll post or answer me back soon.

Steve, did the foglight assembly I gave him not workout?

Markek, yes it'll have a different look to it through the plastic. You can get new foglights from eBay pretty cheap or get one from a '01-03 Explorer Sport, '01-05 Sport Trac.

I rebuilt one using another foglight, here's a link to that thread with pictures.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412726

Yes, it worked great Jerry. I think maybe I was supposed to verify it worked and thank you. Thank you. He has had family health issues, as if his own aren't enough, and I guess he and I got our wires crossed about expressing our gratitude for your help.
Do you suppose the lamp/reflector from a regular Explorer would fit a Trac housing?

It's no problem, I was glad to help him. Hopefully things get better for him and his family. I'm not sure about a regular Ex would fit, I think they have square or rectangular foglights. I'll look and see what others might work when I get home.

Markek, do you just need to glass lense or the whole assembly?

Yeah, it looks like its just the glass lens. Am I able to order just the lens?

Is it difficult to replace? Do you a part number for the glass lens?

O.k. so after looking up the different foglights and model Ex's it looks like the glass lense is the same on the 3rd Gen Explorers as the 1st Gen ST's and '01-03 Sports but the mounting assembly is different. I didn't find just the lense by itself because it's sealed to the assembly.

You have two options at this point:

A. get a used foglight from a junkyard (usually between $10-25 depending on yard)

B. buy a used or new one online (usually between $25-119)

There's tons of companies selling them on eBay for cheap, I found a pair (both sides) on eBay new for $45 when I looked around for another member BXTF. I ended up finding mine, rebuilding the side he needed from the two. Otherwise I was just going to buy a new one for him.

The fog lights on eBay seem to be the plastic ones. If I go that route I guess I would have to get a pair so they match.

Or i guess I try a junkyard. Does anyone know the ford part number?

Is there an advantage of glass over plastic lens?

I'd guess they are plastic, as from what I've seen, only the OEM ones are glass. I don't know the difference, but anything has got to be better than 13 y/o scratched up glass.

I'd guess they are plastic, as from what I've seen, only the OEM ones are glass. I don't know the difference, but anything has got to be better than 13 y/o scratched up glass.

My other side fog light looks in perfect condition. The Trac only has 70,000 miles on it.

I had a passenger lens shatter and bought a whole new housing from ebay for only $32. This link is the one I got. I just went out to check and it sure looks and sounds like glass to me. And there is no difference from my other light (see the pic I just posted in my 'Blackened' thread). This seller also has the driver side or sold in a pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-01-05-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2577b3396f

Fog lights

Steve, did the foglight assembly I gave him not workout?

Markek, yes it'll have a different look to it through the plastic. You can get new foglights from eBay pretty cheap or get one from a '01-03 Explorer Sport, '01-05 Sport Trac.

I rebuilt one using another foglight, here's a link to that thread with pictures.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412726

HI JERRY.
I APOLIZE TO YOU I THOUGHT I SENT YOU AN PM OR E-MAIL TO THANK YOU FOR THE LIGHT YOU DID A GREAT JOB BUT AS STEVE SAID WE ARE DEALING WITH 2 OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS HEALTH ISSUES AND IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD AND I DON’T REMEMBER FOR SURE IF I DID CONTACT YOU OR NOT.

AND I AM SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOU EARLIER BUT YOUR LIGHT WORKED OUT GREAT AND YES THE LENS IS GLASS AND AS FAR AS USING SILVERSTARS WITH A PLASTIC LENS I DON’T KNOW IF THEY WOULD HOLD UP FROM THE HEAT FROM THE SILVERSTARS ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE GLASS LENS DO GET HOT HOPES THAT HELPS.

:usa:AND I DID NOT FORGET ABOUT THE SHIRT THAT WE TALKED ABOUT.
THANK YOU JERRY.
RAY

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. I hope things get better for you and your family. I wasn't worried about an update on the foglight, I know you're busy with family and family always comes first. :salute:

I have this one for a regular Explorer. Jerry, does it look like it could be taken apart and used on a Sport Trac? It is a 1L24-15A255-AAW LH

7D164FE3-8DD3-4D28-92ED-93DC7EB1FFF0_zps8thmszw4.jpg

You could probably put it in the oven to soften the adhesive holding the lense on to remove it just like Todd does or did when he blacked out and color matched to inside of the headlights and reseal the lense back on. Definitely measure the two lenses to make sure they're the same size diameter. It should work though.

Back