ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments

:bounce: Please, Please, Please offer us a complete adapter kit so that I can get rid of my, ready for third overhaul in 130K, stinkin Mazda 5speed. T5 would be great or even better a "robust" auto (to ease my aching left knee)

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd do a NV35xx/NV45xx manaul before I do a T5. The T5 has a wimpy 1st gear, much worse than the stock mazda 1st gear.

What type of problems are you guys having with the Mazda 5 speed?

I posted another thread about mine burning the transmission fluid when towing. I have been changing the fluid every year using Synthetic. It's cheap insurance to get a few miles on the puppy.Heck, it only takes 2.5 qts.

Kurt

If you made any adaptor for the AOD or C4 ... i would be a sure customer. I am on my 3rd A4LD tranny and I have to take it back to the dealer ... could possibly be on my 4th. By the way, I only have 101K miles on my X. There would be a HUGE market for this.

Originally posted by slovic
wow, You guys are great! thank you all for your opinions. Many members suggested aod and t5. I would like to know if a trans like 700r4 and nv3550 as a tranny choice also?

Are these manual or auto trannys?
If any of these are auto, I would be more than willling to lend you my 97 XLT with an AtlasII T-case to try out, seeing that I live in Cali and Paso Robles is really not that far away. It also isn't my daily driver, so it can stay with you for as long as you need it. :D

im on my second tranny and i have been toying with the 5.0 AOD swap in but recently have been thinking rebuild 4.0 and swap in AOD. you make the Adapter ill buy it!

Slovic,

I know AA have been working on the Nv3550 for the 302. I really want this tranny for a 302 swap that I have in the works for my 92. I am to Scared to put a T-5 in my truck once I have the 302 and a dana44 up front that T-5 would not last very long.

Originally posted by slovic
wow, You guys are great! thank you all for your opinions. Many members suggested aod and t5. I would like to know if a trans like 700r4 and nv3550 as a tranny choice also?

anything is better than the A4LD - on my third now and who knows how long it will last. I would love anything that would allow me to put in an auto w/od that can safely handle 250hp in a 4.0...

Jon

Originally posted by FMExplorer
anything is better than the A4LD - on my third now and who knows how long it will last. I would love anything that would allow me to put in an auto w/od that can safely handle 250hp in a 4.0...

Jon

Just curious what gear ratio are you running in yuour diffs? If you have stock gears do you think that may be part of your problem. Creating alot of heat from slipping will toast the trannies. A gear swap would be cheaper then another tranny. Just an idea.

Yeah - still running crappy 3.27's - 4.56's will be in around January. However - we have mud and sand here. I need to be able to turn my wheels fast to get throught the slop. Also - the torque convertors on the A4LD don't lock up easily - they slip too much. The tranny also can't handle the torque or HP I want to go with, but I don't really want to do a V8 swap beacuse of the extra weight and time involved with swapping out the cpu. Am I making sense? Cuz as I read it I'm not so sure... :smoke:

J

Yes, I'll agree there needs to be a good tranny made to work on our trucks... I'd love a NV4500 fer a manual, or a 700R4 fer an auto... and I prefer auto's! I'm lucky to not have a a4ld go out on me, but I know lots of people have gone through that crap, and it needs to be addressed!
Pete

Hey, if you need a 91-94 test platform let me know. I also have a second daily driver

Ok I got another question for everyone. What transfer case are you going to run behind these "new" transmissions. Everyone is talking tranny but what about the tcase. Are you going to drop another $2000 for an atlas as well as the adapter. Going to run a f150 tcase. What about the 700R4. Are you going to use the late model NP t case that eeryone has problems with? Just curious what is going on the other end.

Matt

I hate my trans. Had it rebuilt already, and I am just waiting for it to blow again. Then I will be really mad.:fire: :frustrate :redexp: :shoot:

My A4LD blew and i had it rebuilt at a cost of $2100.00 cdn, Now i would have been very VERY happy to hand AA $2000.00+ for a AOD kit seeing as how i will have to get my tranny rebuilt in a year or so again !!!,
YOU BUILD IT, I WILL BUY IT.

Most everyone on the board isn't willing to give up there overdrive. What about for the few that are willing, fab a T-18 bellhousing. There also comes the problem of the front drive shaft out-put on the T case being on the wrong side. I dont know if you could make a atlas II adapter to put the output shaft on the correct side for the X. What is the T-18's first gear, 6.72?????????

I would be interested in the AOD, C4, or the 700R4. The 700R4 bolts directly up to a klunev, but is 23-5/8 inches in length, about 3-1/8 inches longer than the AOD. Ideally, I would like the new transmission/adapter/and klune v to be the same length as my A4LD, which is 28.687. With an AOD that would be 20.5+6.5=27, leaving 1.687 inches for an adapter. Then I could mount an atlas II on the end without worrying about new driveshafts and driveshaft clearance over stock and added crossmembers. With a c4, I would lose overdrive, which I would prefer to keep, but the adapter could be 5.187 inches which would probably be more doable. I know, I'm nuts.
I believe that there are lower gearing sets available for the c4 and AOD, would that be included? ;)

I can't say that I am all that crazy about using a GM tranny, everyone I know that has a Chevy is on their third or fourth... What gearing is available for the 700r4?

My 2 cents

Automatic: AOD would be nice, there are some good "build up"kits available. I suspect you will also need a Tcase adapter for the BW 1354

MY PRERENCE
Manual: NV 3550 or better TKO
(The nv4500 is simply too big for the 4.0, but if the bolt pattern would be the same - go for it)

AA curently has a 302 to 3550 to D20 (Ford) for older bronco's

Needed:

1) 4.0 liter to 3550 / TKO bell housing & hydraulic cluth kit. (It would be best to use off the shelf clutch components, probably for the 3550 with a modified fly wheel to obtain the correct bolt pattern.)

2) 3550 / TKO to BW 1354 Tcase adapter.
The 1354 isn't an Atlas, but it isn't bad either.It is a good intermediate solution. Theother option is the Dana D20 for Ford applications. AA already has an adapter for a 3550 to D20. The D20 does not have a great low range (2:1), The low gear kits for the D20 are advertised for the jeep version, I don;t know if they will work in the ford version of the D20.

TCase Issues:
The larger Tcase (BW 1356) in the F150 and full size Bronco require frame and Tcase modification to fit the narrow Explorer frame. The Tcase is approx 17" wide (horizontal) from the drive shaft centerline to the end of the casing. This means cutting the frame and shaving the end of the Tcase to make it fit. The front drive line will still be offset to the driver side by several additional inches (approx 3") - the drive line offset of the X is approx. 9" while the 1356 offset is about 12" Another solution would be to rotate the Tcase so it drops down lower, but this results in ground clearance issues.

I would like to see a 700r4 possibly along with a dana 20 tcase maybe? (ok.. so I have both laying around) :) I haven't had any problems with the 700 in my 92 gmc jimmy with 162k on it.. (and the low first gear would be a plus.. the np uhm.. 232 I think it was isn't bad either imo) Something has to be done..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the transmissions suck and there is no way around it, i mean my dad was tellin me the other month about how even in the 70s their transmissions sucked unbelievably, i just dont understand why they are still using these things...

Back