Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes! | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!

Jon, depending on when yours was built it may or may not have heavy duty brakes.

Peter

I actually measured the rotors, and they're definitely the smaller ones, plus the rear are not vented.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually measured the rotors, and they're definitely the smaller ones, plus the rear are not vented.

Interesting, when we got to 2016+ (at least, not sure how far back), Everything XLT and above got heavy duty brakes. In 2018+, XLT was downgraded to standard duty in the rear.

(How "heavy" duty any of this is remains to be clarified in my opinion, you'd think we'd have gotten PI spec brakes on that phrasing.)

Interesting, when we got to 2016+ (at least, not sure how far back), Everything XLT and above got heavy duty brakes. In 2018+, XLT was downgraded to standard duty in the rear.
I believe Explorers built after Dec. 11th, 2013 all received the heavy duty brakes.

Peter

(How "heavy" duty any of this is remains to be clarified in my opinion, you'd think we'd have gotten PI spec brakes on that phrasing.)

The only differences between PI brakes and the rest of the "heavy duty" brakes, are the pads and the seals. The PI pads are, as I understand it, harder and noisy, and I think the seals are silicone instead of rubber, to handle the higher heat generated.

The only differences between PI brakes and the rest of the "heavy duty" brakes, are the pads and the seals. The PI pads are, as I understand it, harder and noisy, and I think the seals are silicone instead of rubber, to handle the higher heat generated.
Not sure about the specific differences in pad composition, but the brakes on my 16/17 PIU bite pretty good and have made no noise since I got them (one has ~4K miles and the other has ~12K miles so far).

I just watched the video and the "fix" makes no sense to me. I am NOT suggesting that there is not a problem with the rear calipers, pads etc but as per the video the use of grease in the area behind the clips cannot possibly work. The issue as described is that the pads are not releasing and they are dragging. The shiny metal clips once installed do not move, they are locked into place. While grease on the surface behind the clips would help prevent corrosion on the caliper holder how can it have effect on the front of the clip where the tabs from the pads slide?

Oxidized metal occupies more space than solid metal. The Slider Clips were being pushed away from the base metal, which caused a clamping action onto the edges of the Brake Pad. I also noticed oxide dust on the surface of the Slider Clips causing additional friction. Personally, I would apply a thin layer of Anti-Seize Compound additionally to the surface of the Slider Clip and to both edges of the Brake Pad.

Oxidized metal occupies more space than solid metal. The Slider Clips were being pushed away from the base metal, which caused a clamping action onto the edges of the Brake Pad. I also noticed oxide dust on the surface of the Slider Clips causing additional friction. Personally, I would apply a thin layer of Anti-Seize Compound additionally to the surface of the Slider Clip and to both edges of the Brake Pad.
Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
Thanks for the insight.

Peter

It has been mentioned several times that Explorers built after the mid 2013 build cycle all have the HD brakes. Not related to the tow package.

Peter

My 2015 Explorer Base 4WD was manufactured 12/2014 and has the standard brakes (which are having this same issue).

Looks like my 2016 XLT has the same issue. Only 16k miles. I have an appointment with a local dealership tonight. Hopefully, it goes well.

MkgkQ9r.jpg

DvtDXpT.jpg

Been doing my own mechanical for 38years. Never had a vehicle chew up back brakes like this explorer. The back caliper sticks random times, when I tear them down, they turn back in with little effort and seem fairly clean. Put back together and 10-15,000 kms later I smell burning brakes and one side or the other almost melting my wheels.
I guess next step is to replace the calipers, but wondering if anyone else has had similar issue. Killed a set of wheel bearing because of this too.

Been doing my own mechanical for 38years. Never had a vehicle chew up back brakes like this explorer. The back caliper sticks random times, when I tear them down, they turn back in with little effort and seem fairly clean. Put back together and 10-15,000 kms later I smell burning brakes and one side or the other almost melting my wheels.
I guess next step is to replace the calipers, but wondering if anyone else has had similar issue. Killed a set of wheel bearing because of this too.
Your thread was moved to this one on a similar issue.

Peter

Your thread was moved to this one on a similar issue.

Peter
Thanks, the video helped, and I have done the clean up treatment on the mount several times and still not lasting. Instead of anti seize I was using brake lube, maybe not as durable.

That seems out of the ordinary. My 14 with 62,000 miles has been fine with a once a year clean up. Last weekend I did my annual inspection. Pads are good, I pulled the eight clips and I use a Dremel with a brush attachment to clean up the bracket. Do the same to the clips to remove gunk / dust that pretty much covers them. Then I use a thin coat of silicone caliper grease on the bracket as well as on the clips. This is a pretty severe application as we spend the winter in the mountains that on average receives 550" of snow. Every day all winter we drive down one of the steepest roads in the U.S. which can definitely over heat the brakes and I have not had any issues. That picture would sure seem to indicate a bad caliper or frozen slide pins at a minimum.

That is Normally my routine as well. Tore them down again last night, and since I have done them so many times, the last time the clips were still in like new condition, so I must have just wiped them down and lubed them. Turns out there was quite a bit of corrosion underneath, so I did the grinder clean up and put some new clips on. 150 Kim’s travelled so far today, seems all is good. Also, what you put on for mileage in 4 years, I do basically that amount each year.

So the rear brakes started grinding on my 2013 explorer. When I removed the rear passenger side caliper I found the inside pad had worn past the rivets and chewed up the rotor. It looks like the pad stuck. I removed the mount and cleaned it up on a wire wheel, reassembled and made sure the pads moved freely. Three days later I can hear the pad rubbing again. Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix/prevent it.

Thank you, I thought I remembered this video being posted but it wasn't coming up in the search

So the rear brakes started grinding on my 2013 explorer. When I removed the rear passenger side caliper I found the inside pad had worn past the rivets and chewed up the rotor. It looks like the pad stuck. I removed the mount and cleaned it up on a wire wheel, reassembled and made sure the pads moved freely. Three days later I can hear the pad rubbing again. Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix/prevent it.

Pull the caliper pins and be sure they are moving freely and apply caliper lubricant. Other than that there are not any other parts besides the calipers. IMO most calipers are replaced needlessly as the calipers per se have no moving parts other than the pistons.

The caliper pins were suprising well lubed and moved freely. I did clean and lube them with brake grease. I'm not really sure how to gauge how well the rear caliper is doing since you have to turn it as you push it in. (A grinder wrench works well for this). The other strange thing is it doesn't do it all the time and when it does it "pulses". The rotor is brand new so (in theory) its not warped. I haven't had a chance to pull it back apart yet but this is my only car so I prefer to have everything I could need on hand before I dig into it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The caliper pins were suprising well lubed and moved freely. I did clean and lube them with brake grease. I'm not really sure how to gauge how well the rear caliper is doing since you have to turn it as you push it in. (A grinder wrench works well for this). The other strange thing is it doesn't do it all the time and when it does it "pulses". The rotor is brand new so (in theory) its not warped. I haven't had a chance to pull it back apart yet but this is my only car so I prefer to have everything I could need on hand before I dig into it.

How is the piston?
Is it moving freely?

Back