Ford Focus: anyone own one?

hvac man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rifle, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
I was wondering if anyone here owns a ford focus. My wife and I are looking into buying one and I was just looking for some opinions from people who have or have had one. We are looking into getting the ZTW wagon. Thanks in advance.

Clint

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't own one but I have driven them multiple times. If you want I can let you know what I think of them, or if you only want owners opinions that is good with me as well.

My secretary has one, I think its a 2002. She's had no problems whatsoever with it. I think as long as you get a 2002+ one you'll be fine.

The Focus really is a great little car...

Thanks guys I drove one yesturday and thought it seemed like a good car but I have only heard good things about them. I hear the same things everyone else hears like car and driver 10 best for 4 years and what not. My buddy that is a ford tech says they are a great car with little problems so I guess I'll just have to find out....LOL :D

Thanks again,

Clint

I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS Mach Audio. The Focus itself is a great little car with ample interior room for its size. If you get the automatic instead of the stick you also get passing gears in the right places. The Mach Audio edition has a 460 watt stereo system, HID headlights and a custom interior. I drive it on the weekends. During the week I use my X but I look forward to driving it on the weekends. It has good handling too for a front wheel drive car.

Cool Razor, I drove the ZTW Wagon auto and thought it was pretty tight but not as smooth as the old volvo we are driving now. I guess I don't need any of the stereo stuff but it comes with the package I have picked out. I am really leaning toward the focus just because I know it should be a reliable car.

I don't own one but have heard nothing but good things about them. I also heard too that the Focus has less factory defects than any other car out on the market.

I just saw a report last week on the news that compared the quality of American cars vs. the rest of the world. While the report concluded that the Japs are still screwing together some of the most reliable vehicles, they said the American cars are very much up to par, if not better than many EUROPEAN brands. As a matter of fact, they reported that the Ford Focus had less (many less) quality related issues than well known European marques (read: BMW 745 IL, MB's, among others). I knew we were getting better, but was genuinely surprised at how well the Focus stood up to the competition---I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Clint:

Well, did you buy one? I'm looking at the Focus ZTW wagon, too. My Explorer is 13 years old and has 192,000 miles on it. It runs great and I really like it, but I'm thinking of getting something new to use for the daily commute. The Focus wagon impresses me because it has more cargo space than any of the small SUV's on the market. I also like the styling. I would prefer the manual trans 'cause that's what I'm used to.

Bob

i belive Jefe has one......

It's 2006 and still no problems with the Focus. (Knock Wood). I love that little rascal.

LOL :) I forgot this thread still existed. I think I have had 2 vehicles since then and the new one is an 2001 Mountaineer AWD V8. I decided against the Focus because it just wasn't practicle for us. I do belive it is a pretty nice car though. We just needed something to haul toys around with though and our son too ;)

Focus transmission question

RAZOR said:
I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS Mach Audio. The Focus itself is a great little car with ample interior room for its size. If you get the automatic instead of the stick you also get passing gears in the right places. The Mach Audio edition has a 460 watt stereo system, HID headlights and a custom interior. I drive it on the weekends. During the week I use my X but I look forward to driving it on the weekends. It has good handling too for a front wheel drive car.

Razor, can you comment on the transmissions, automatic vs. stick? I'm thinking about getting the ZTW wagon for commuting and keep the old Explorer for camping and heavy hauling. Looking at the specs, I see that the little Focus wagon has more cargo space (seats folded) than any of the small SUV's!

I've driven a stick for 33+ years, but with the kind of traffic here in Jersey, an automatic would be more convenient. Do you know which automatic is used in the Focus? (I've heard horror stories about the CD4E used in the Escape). How big is the acceleration and gas mileage penalty with the automatic? I drove a rental Focus in 2001 and 2005 and they were pretty perky. Is it still fun to drive with an auto? I use "engine braking" a lot with my manual Explorer, like going into curves or down snow-covered hills. Can you do something like that with an auto? (Can this old dog learn the new tricks?)

Thank you.

Bob

I have a 01 Focus SE sedan with 78k and overall it is a pretty reliable little car. It is not Toyota reliable but alot more fun to drive than a corolla. If I was buying new I might consider the Mazda 3 though.

If you want to get rid of the speed governor, I'll tell you how. :D

Back