• Register Today It's free!

Ford HID bulb upgrade

Shadow71

Reaction score
City, State
SW Chicagoland Burbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Searched and and read and didn't find my answer.
So posting the question.

I beleive the Stock Ford HID is a D3S 35w at 4300k.
Coming from a 35w/50w at 6500k it's a bit too dim for me.

What upgrade bulb and from what place would you recommend?

I'm thinking 500k or 6000k
Will also more then likely also upgrade the fogs to matching HID.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Searched and and read and didn't find my answer.
So posting the question.

I beleive the Stock Ford HID is a D3S 35w at 4300k.
Coming from a 35w/50w at 6500k it's a bit too dim for me.

What upgrade bulb and from what place would you recommend?

I'm thinking 500k or 6000k
Will also more then likely also upgrade the fogs to matching HID.
The 4300k is as close to daylight as you can get. As the that 'K' number increases the light output (lumens) decreases and becomes a more blue colour. While a higher 'K' number may look brighter to oncoming traffic, they output less visible light onto the road. Increasing the brightness of the fog lamps will have a negative effect on them as fog lamps. Looks more like you want to convert them to driving lamps.
6000k while not as bright as 4300k will give you that balance between brightness and the 'HID look'.

Peter

I always found 5000K to be the best balance between color crispness and light output.

The caveat with the lighting system Ford uses is that there is VERY limited D3S bulb support. However there are ways to use a D1S bulb into the same system since they are very close in spec (D3S mercury free vs D1S).
If I'm not mistaken most new Audi's use a D3S spec system as well.

However the biggest culprit of the poor light performance though seems to be the projectors itself. They appear to be of very poor quality.

I was spoiled with my previous cars and the headlight performance on Fords is to say the least .:disappointing:. .

7047636345_633f56c656_b.jpg

ddmtuning has replacement HID D3S bulbs. You can choose any temperature you want. I would stay within the 4300-6000K range for light output. The higher you get with temp, the more blue/purple it will be. I believe they are $40 for a pair. I went with 6000K HID headlights/fogs. I however didn't have factory HIDS so mine was a different part number. Heres a link to let you know the color of my lights:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379171&page=2

I searched DDMTuning early on, they don carry a D3S bulb.
Maybe a kit, but I never looked at there kits.

Here a site that had the D3S bulbs.
http://www.hidoutlet.net/d3s-hid-bulb.html

Anyone know do the LED bulbs output as much as the Halogens?
DDM has a LED H11 outputting 408 Lumens.
From what I've been able to gather from an Internet search, it seems most Halogens commonly have an output range from 1000 to 1500 lumens.
The HID lamps at 4300 have the closest colour to daylight.

Peter

Lumens is the output level/intensaity, a measure of the total "amount" of visible light emitted by a source.

Not the tempature/color of the visible light.
Most LEDs for auto are either 4000k or 5000k
So yellow or white.

So my question if more of the power of the light from an LED verus a standard halogen.
If it's NOT worth it to install an HID kit.
Then what option are there?

I know I can always install Silver Stars.
But wondering about LED bulbs.

This is also a question I'm asking for my Harley.
Installed Silver Star Ultra H3 55w, brighter and cheaper then the PIAA's that where in there.
But the housing was only 35w rated, so I try not to use them offen.

Nevermind. Finally found the answer.

H11 is 1200 lumens @ 50W

I read a discussiton about using H9's as they are outputting 2100 lumens @ 65W

Would make sense since my old Ex has Sliver Star 65W.

Lumens is the output level/intensaity, a measure of the total "amount" of visible light emitted by a source.

Not the tempature/color of the visible light.
Most LEDs for auto are either 4000k or 5000k
So yellow or white.

So my question if more of the power of the light from an LED verus a standard halogen.
If it's NOT worth it to install an HID kit.
Then what option are there?

I know I can always install Silver Stars.
But wondering about LED bulbs.

This is also a question I'm asking for my Harley.
Installed Silver Star Ultra H3 55w, brighter and cheaper then the PIAA's that where in there.
But the housing was only 35w rated, so I try not to use them offen.
I'm not sure if you commenting on part of my post. The 4300k HID bulbs produce the closest comparison to daylight. As the 'k' or Kelvin number increases, the light output (lumens) decreases and the light takes on a more bluish colour.
I used both PIAA and Philips X-treme Power bulbs when I upgraded the halogens in my previous 3 Highlanders and was very happy with them. In comparing my current HID's to the Philips halogen bulbs, I was very disappointed with the HID lamps in that they don't seem any better. I understand that they have been improved in the 2013 model. If I had halogens in an Explorer today, I would definitely try upgrading them first before installing HID's.

Peter

Back