rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
My 97 has been having this terrible grinding racket whenever going from a stop and turning. I was going to go down to Heath's place to try out a new driveshaft, but between bad weather and a funeral last week I haven't made it down there. Anyways I have checked the brakes a number of times and thought hey they are fine. Problem was I didn't check the back side. Well lets just say it wasn't good... :)

Check out the pic...

Attachments

• image(10).jpg
    image(10).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 246

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AND it was ME who said it sounded like my brakes were the problem. :D The wife was correct!

Even if no one cares about this thread, at least it shows that I win. What I win, I do not know. :p

Yup, using those "metallic" pads will do it every time!

Doh, how much pad was left on the front side?

It was just barely to the wear bars.

Although the shudder just happened as we pulled into our driveway. I will have to see if maybe the new pad is catching any...

Okay I have a new pad, new shoes on the drivers side rear and its still dragging. Anyone know of any ideas? Would I need to replace the caliper? Or is the caliper on there not releasing the correct way? I greased it up so it should slide back but for some reason its not. I don't want to eat another rotor.

Back