From crank/no start to crank/kind of start & codes 226, 327 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

From crank/no start to crank/kind of start & codes 226, 327

Rhaegal94

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
My '94 Explorer was struggling with starting a couple of weeks ago as it got colder (below 20 degrees). The “check engine light” never came on during this time. The battery was 5-6 years old (Ultima Yellow Top). I replaced the battery with a new Motorcraft battery (group 65) and it started fine and ran for two days.

On the morning of the third day, it cranked and started but died after a couple of seconds. Tried again and it did the same thing. After checking the forum, I looked for disconnected/broken hoses and did a parasite draw test with the fuses and checked the fuses to see if any were burned out. I also replaced the fuel pump relay with a new Standard relay. That had no effect, so I tried switching it with a Ford relay from another slot but still no effect.

Also, the night before the no start, I ran into a pothole (driver side) after going down a hill. Nothing looked damage and it wasn’t the type of pothole that caused me to bottom out or anything. But just adding that in in case it helps with troubleshooting.

I then ran a KOEO scan and it came back with codes 226 and 327. For these codes, the code reader (INNOVA) manual I have specifically indicates the following for each code:
  • 226 – (Trucks only): Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) problem – Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) problem
  • 327 – EVP/EPT circuit below minimum voltage
After more searching on the forum/internet and checking wires, I ordered a new ICM and EGR pressure sensor from NAPA. It took about a week for me to receive the parts.

I installed the parts last night but still got a crank with no start. I did another scan and the 327 code was gone but the 226 code was still there. Tried starting it again and it started and stayed on. So, I did a relearn process and called it a night.

This morning it had a couple of no starts (always cranked) but started the 3rd time. Drove it about 2 miles away. It seemed to accelerate better though the idle was around 700. Before the issues started it was around 500. Went out this afternoon to go somewhere and had another start but then it died after about 10 seconds.

Most internet/forum posts indicated ICM for code 226. Though, since my code manual indicated crankshaft position sensor with code 226, maybe I should have started there before the ICM. As a I read more on the CPS, it seems the CPS is responsible for sending a signal to the ICM. I am going to see if I can locate it tonight and see if there is a disconnected or damaged wire. Is there a reliable way to test the CPS? Or is this something I should just try replacing? I also assumed since it was a new battery that it wasn't the battery but maybe I should have it checked. Any other troubleshooting ideas are welcome.

Also, the alternator, battery cables, starter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and MAF sensor are all about 2-3 years old. Most everything else is still stock.

I have just one quick question, were you able to hear the fuel pump on the first failed startup? If the fuel pump had failed it would make sense that it would run for two seconds on the first start but never again. Looking at the codes I believe that you would be on the right track to solving the problem however.

Back