Front end conversion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end conversion?

I have a 98 esploder and i keep seeing mercury mountaineers with different grill assemblies. like http://www.cargurus.com/images/2008/05/30/16/26/pic-17856.jpeg how hard would it be to switch them and cost ect. the grill and lights look better to me they look like a pretty easy to switch there basically the same thing. could you just take a wire harness for a turn/ marker light for the corner light, and would the headlight connections be the same?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to contact one of our members: Mr. Logger

The 98-01 Mercury Mountaineer is the front clip you are talking about
A few members on this sight have done the conversion

Mr Logger contacted me the other day asking about my Gen II headlights, because he is wanting to convert his 99 mounty to a 98 style explorer ....you two could trade parts

an afternoon, its not that difficult to change out the front end parts, the hard part is getting the hood and fenders /grill lined up just perfect, that can take hours... and aiming the headlights...I am still adjusting the hood on my 96 truck LOL

If you dont touch the hood or fenders it should bolt up nice!

I have done the mounty headlight conversion on my 98 Explorer. I only had to change the fiberglass header panel along with head lights and grille. The fenders and hood are exactly the same on both vehicles. The bumper I kept from a Explorer due to I liked the round fog lights on the 99-01 explorers. I do however love the new projector headlights 410 and others on this forum have recently installed. They're unique and a lot less work. Good luck.

I have done the mounty headlight conversion on my 98 Explorer. I only had to change the fiberglass header panel along with head lights and grille. The fenders and hood are exactly the same on both vehicles. The bumper I kept from a Explorer due to I liked the round fog lights on the 99-01 explorers. I do however love the new projector headlights 410 and others on this forum have recently installed. They're unique and a lot less work. Good luck.

Do you have any pics of the process? We like visual aids. :D

Do you have any pics of the process? We like visual aids. :D

post-905-1187062334_thumb.jpg

The rest: http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/mickeymann420/

Thanks section525! :)

mic98xlt, where did you get that mesh for the grill?

mic98xlt, where did you get that mesh for the grill?

I brought the entire grille and mesh from a member (A.J.) on another explorer forum. The mesh is a speed grille that was from a F150 that was cut down to fit the opening. This was a project piece that he hand shaped. I really like the lines of the mounty grille with the smaller headlight housing.

Back