Front end noise, wheel bearing noise?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise, wheel bearing noise??

bschnur

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeville, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer XLT
Hey Guys,

2010 Explorer 4x4. 46,000 miles. My story is this, about 500 miles or so ago, I started hearing some "roaring type of sound starting and it sounds like it is coming from the left front, but i know how sound can travel and be conceiving.

My tires were pretty worn since they are original, so I tried rotating with no change. Sound is getting louder, to the point it can be heard over the radio.
Thinking it maybe the tires just bought 4 new tires and alignment checked, still the noise and now I can also feel slight vibration.

So here is what I now know with some test drives trying to define the problem.
Going straight down the highway at say 60 mph, I can hear the roar sound coming from the front. If I turn the steering wheel to the left enough to make a lane change the sounds gets louder and I can feel a mechanical change in the steering wheel occur that stays until I straighten the wheel back to center and if i turn the wheel to the right in the same amount the noise goes away and the vibration is also completely gone? I'm thinking this is a front wheel bearing issue, but do these symptoms that i have described point to which one?? or something else maybe?? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like a wheel bearing. Jack up the front end of your truck and check your wheels for some play. If you have some, your bearing could be bad on that side.

yep, wheel bearings. I had an '08 with those symptoms, both sides went bad. They were replaced under warranty, so you might have some good luck if you still have your warranty. I believe this generation of Explorers are notorious for this.

Took the Explorer to the Ford dealer and they had to replace both front hubs. Best thing is it was covered under the remaining power train warranty YAY!

Took the Explorer to the Ford dealer and they had to replace both front hubs. Best thing is it was covered under the remaining power train warranty YAY!

Awesome news, bschnur! I'm glad your dealership took care of you. If you need any help in the future, don't hesitate to send a PM my way. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I'm having a similar problem, sounds like a howling from the left front. BOth front wheel bearings replaced, new U joing in front drive shaft, all fluids changed in differentials, tranny and trnasfer case. OUr company 2010 XLT had a similar sound which was corrected by replacing the front u joint on the drive shaft. Had it to several mechanics, no codes. one thinks it sounds like something in the air pump system. The howling doesn't occur until im rolling and press on the accelerator slightly, no noise while costing. I"m frustrated.

I'm having a similar problem, sounds like a howling from the left front. BOth front wheel bearings replaced, new U joing in front drive shaft, all fluids changed in differentials, tranny and trnasfer case. OUr company 2010 XLT had a similar sound which was corrected by replacing the front u joint on the drive shaft. Had it to several mechanics, no codes...

Hi POE06,

Did you go to a Ford Dealership or just independent shops? How many miles are on your Explorer? Let me know and I'll see how I can best assist.

Crystal

Hi POE06!
I had that problem with my 2010 Explorer 2WD one side was bad, mechanic almost got away with the sale, until I checked my odometer. I had 59,400mi on the Odometer and checked warranty, only had 600mi to go before warranty ran out. Ford replaced both wheel bearing under warranty. Lucky day that was, saved almost $1,000

Back