• Register Today It's free!

front end suspension problems

SPLplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Strasburg VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt
ok i have a thumping noise when ever i go over bumps, i replaced the shocks because i thought thats what it was but turns out it is still there, so what could it be? im thinking my upper control arms because all of my ball joints upper and lower seals are blown, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about the sway bar? I know that has caused some issues with mystery font end clunks in the past. How are your end links?

im not sure i havent checked those, so i will do that when it stops raining and also this is a dumb ? but for the suspension all i see is the shock absorbers for up front and thats all, what else makes up the front suspension?

If your boots on your balljoints are torn, dry rotted, ripped, etc. then that let's all the moisture in and dries up the grease causing the ball joints not to work properly.

I just had to replace the original uppers and lowers on my wifes '97 Mounty because of this, they were making a bobble sound and had some play in them.

Also like Paraphoe suggested, check out the sway bar endlinks, these were garbage from the factory along with the shocks.

If you boots on your balljoints are torn, dry rotted, ripped, etc. then that let's all the moisture in and dries up the grease causing the ball joints not to work properly.

I just had to replace the original uppers and lowers on my wifes '97 Mounty because of this, they were making a bobble sound and had some play in them.

Also like Paraphoe suggested, check out the sway bar endlinks, these were garbage from the factory along with the shocks.

ok thats good to know, and yah i already replaced the shocks but ill take a look at the sway bar bushings and links

im not sure i havent checked those, so i will do that when it stops raining and also this is a dumb ? but for the suspension all i see is the shock absorbers for up front and thats all, what else makes up the front suspension?

Your front suspension is a torsion bar setup (access from underneath). The shocks merely dampen/absorb impact - they don't actually hold up the vehicle.

Your front suspension is a torsion bar setup (access from underneath). The shocks merely dampen/absorb impact - they don't actually hold up the vehicle.

right, and i thought it had torsion bars but wasnt 100%
do you think it could be something in the torsion bars?

There are sound dampening pads made of Kevlar under the torsion keys, they tend to wear out and cause noise also.

Back