Front lower strut bolt

gsf1010

Reaction score
City, State
jersey city NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
Greetings
I am replacing the front quick struts and having a hard time getting the driver side lower strut bolt off. I replaced the passenger side and the lower bolt just threaded out without much problems. On the driver side the bolt won't thread out. I was able to get the backing nut off but still the bolt won't budge. I tried to hammer it out and tried heating it with some propane. Unfortunately I don't have any air tools, but was wondering would a impact wrench work? Anybody have this problem and was able to get the bolt off? Thanks for the help.

Does the bolt turn? if so, the threads may be holding you up. If the bolt does not turn, spray both ends of the bolt in WD-40, wait for a couple of hours and try again. Take a five pound sledge and tap the threaded end but dont clobber it. You dont want to strip the threads or you are off to the dealer for some 20 dollar bolts.

Thanks tmaher for replying. Yes the bolt does turn. I disconnected the upper ball joint and I tried the sledge on the nut end while using a impact wrench on the bolt head. No go. Tried more heat with propane charring the rubber on the strut. Best to have water to put out the fire if I ever decide to got that route again. I ended up ordering a bolt from the ford dealership for $15. Should have it by the end of the week. Once I get the new bolt I will cut the bolt from the bottom of the mount. I can't believe I wasted 3hrs trying to get the bolt out. Thanks again for suggestion.

i had the same problem with mine. i ended up putting the jack under the control arm and jacking it up right on to the bottom of the strut to take some pressure off of it. dont jack it up too much. with the nut on the bolt just enough so that maybe one or two threads are showing hit the bolt out with a small sledge hammer. then once its loose you can pull the nut off and knock the bolt through. good luck

Back