• Register Today It's free!

Front Pinion Seal

eltepo

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
"03 XLT AWD
I took my X to the dealer for an oil change. The service advisor came back with a list of repairs that need to be done. First on the list is fuel filter, tranny flush, flush front differential, and a front pinion seal. If I do the pinion seal replacement I assume that the diff. fluid is going to have be changed to right? I have an extended warranty but the dealer quote is $ 125. for the pinion seal, and the deductible is $100. Should I just pay for the repair or have the warranty co. pay for it? I noticed in the policy that if a fluid needs to be replaced due to a malfunction of a part they will pay for it too. Also last time I had the oil changed, the dealer came out with a long list of repairs, some I did others I didn't. This time the list was shorter than before, and some repairs which I din't do the dealer did not mentioned this time. Are dealers just pushing for unnecessary repairs?

Are dealers just pushing for unnecessary repairs?

Yes, some dealers (and independents) do this. They don't always make enough on just oil changes, so they are looking for other items too.

Yes they would have to replace the fluid after changing the seal, however, IIRC, its only a few pints so the cost of the fluid isn't that much, even if you use syn gear lube. I don't think that the seal is particularly expensive either, you are mostly paying for labor.

You could probably do it yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, but its a lot easier to do the job when you have a rack to lift the truck, impact wrench and drivers for the new seal, so it might be easier to let them go ahead and do it if you verify that it is actually leaking.

Front Differential Fluid Change

The quote for the diff. fluid change is $150. at the dealer. It seems like everytime I go for a simple oil change the delaer always finds something wrong. But I got the X with 79k miles 3 months ago, so I don't know if any of the fluid changes were done by the previous owner.

Back