Front wheel hop while accelerating/turning with AWD Mountaineer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel hop while accelerating/turning with AWD Mountaineer?

dsblk93gt

Reaction score
City, State
Plattsburgh, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
I am starting to lose my mind with this Mountaineer. I have not solved the tranny shift issues yet and now I have front wheel hop it feels like when accelerating after turning or while turning. Is it something with the AWD or is it a bad CV axle maybe? I don't want to throw parts at it for nothing and I'm curious if it is normal or common? I might just take the front axle out and see what happens. I need to replace the driver front wheel bearing as well as it is noisy and I can feel it.

Would worn tires cause an issue like this? Mine are deccent, but not new at all. Maybe 60% tread left.

Anyone?

The clutch pack in the T-case on my '99 Explorer went out, which caused mine to get stuck in 4wd. I just removed the front drive shaft until I was ready to fix the problem.
I'm not sure how different the '02 is, but it is about a 10 minute job to remove the front drive shaft on mine.
If it is easy, try taking yours out and see if your problem goes away. That might help locate your problem.

Back