Frozen Rotors - 96 Explorer - Front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frozen Rotors - 96 Explorer - Front

tmcquinn

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
96 XLT 4WD

My 'little' project continues.....

Rear is nearly complete but I wanted to get the front rotors machined today, which is looking pretty unlikely.

I don't have a manual yet but I have one on the way.

Autozone

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke..._us/0900823d/80/0b/cc/06/0900823d800bcc06.jsp

says that the 4WD rotor (front) is held on by the lug nuts. I have the wheel off and the caliper bracket removed and suspended out of the way. The rear rotors were a bear to remove but these feel like they're welded. Can anyone tell me if there is anything else holding this rotor on? (I don't see any 'retaining screw' that the Autozone directions say is on some models.) I have used penetrating oil, my big rubber mallet, and a 4 pound sledge with a block of wood and this rotor doesn't want to budge. Reluctantly, I heated it with my MAPP torch but I'm not sure how much heat is too much. It still didn't budge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep wailing on it. I replaced my rotors a few weeks ago. The driver's side was easy to pull, but the passengers side didn't budge until I used the sledge hammer. Keep spraying penetrating oil around the hub.

Dan

Will do. Am near the point of collapse amid a chorus of whimpering & cursing and starting to blow spit bubbles.......

As the saying goes, when all else fails, get a bigger hammer. Also try mixing the lube, heat and pounding in different sequences. Try pounding on it, spraying it, heating it, spraying it, heating it, then pounding on it. You may need new rotors by the time your done if you really want to get them off.

Dan

hunterdan said:
As the saying goes, when all else fails, get a bigger hammer. Also try mixing the lube, heat and pounding in different sequences. Try pounding on it, spraying it, heating it, spraying it, heating it, then pounding on it. You may need new rotors by the time your done if you really want to get them off.

Dan

I think maybe I was being a little impatient with the penetrating oil. I had plans and went to get cleaned up. Half an hour later I was the only one ready to go. I went down to the garage to glare at mess I got myself into. Knowing I couldn't really do much, I picked up the big rubber mallet and hit it. It sounded more clunky than dingy this time (best description I have tonight). I hit the other side. Back and forth a dozen times or so, but way less power than I was using earlier, and it came loose. When I returned this afternoon I never even used anything other than the rubber mallet. But I soaked with penetrating oil, turned 72 degrees, soaked, turned, soaked, turned soaked, listened to the radio, swept up, and had the bloody thing off without even having to catch my breath.

I don't think either of the front rotors is salvageable. Can I get decent parts from Pep Boys or Autozone or somewhere else that might be open on a Sunday? I want decent rotors, especially on the front.

I have been away from doing my own maintenance for around twenty years. And back then the cars I could afford had drum brakes. But I don't see why discs would be bad on one side? On both rotors the outer surface is pretty smooth and has about .004 runout - just over the limit. But the inner surface of both, well it doesn't make sense, grooves, pits, looks like hell. It isn't the pads, all four are far from being worn out. And I see that the dealer did a 'cmplt ft bkr job' on the car 3,200 miles ago including machining the rotors. (Was wife's car and I would just say 'get it fixed'.) Can anyone imagine why the inner surfaces would be in such bad shape while the outer ones look, well, kinda like they were machined 3,200 miles ago? They do both sides don't they?

Tom

Not greasing the caliper slides could cause uneven wear on the rotor like discribed. It would not let the caliper slide in and out.

boominXplorer said:
Not greasing the caliper slides could cause uneven wear on the rotor like discribed. It would not let the caliper slide in and out.

I will make sure they are greased when it goes back together. I bought the proper grease yesterday.

I'm still trying to understand how lack of grease would cause the inner rotor surface to wear out but not the inner pad........

Back